Television holding device

Post pictures of your original, unique designs that you made. Come on! Show it off here!

Moderator: Michael

Television holding device

Postby paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:05 pm

Although I haven't owned a TV for ten years, I don't have any philosophical differences with them. When I was approached by a woman about me making her a cabinet for her TV she was quite apologetic about owning and watching one.

The two upper doors open horizontally and are inlayed with some figured maple. The rest of the piece is cherry cut from two slabs with enough left over for a table in the same style she wants as well.
Additional photos here
http://pkstudios.smugmug.com/Woodworkin ... 857_TMMbFr

paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com

Re: Television holding device

Postby John@bridgecitytools.com » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:42 pm

Paul-

That is a cool piece. Maybe you should get a television... :)

Your website is also very well done, and informative. Congratulations!

-John
John@bridgecitytools.com

Postby paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:32 pm

Thanks..

That website is not my website, it's just a place to store photos so I can grab them when I need them. Most of the photos in that smugmug site I hide from the public.

Postby PFranks » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:29 pm

Paul, I really love this piece. I would have posted sooner, but I ran into difficulties with logging in. Your photos of your piece are beautiful, but the piece itself is gorgeous. I really love the balance and the asymmetry. What inspired you to do those cut-away feet? Kind of an Asian version of a claw foot, or something. The inlay is really inspired, and I loved seeing your sketches that led to the final product. John E. would be pleased.

That's a great board you have for the front - I love the splash rings, rippling in the pond. Or maybe it's fog, rolling into a canyon. It's a shame to sully the piece with a television...

Great work. Thanks so much for sharing. I'd love to see more of your work.
PFranks

Postby paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:51 pm

Thank you very much.

A few years ago I went to Italy for the wedding of a former girlfriend. Her family has had a home outside of Firenze for decades. One of the main tenets my parents instilled in their kids was the idea that we should be different from everybody else so I didn’t want to go to the wedding wearing a dark suit like everybody else. I found an artist that worked in fabric and she made a custom kimono type jacket with a beautiful back panel as well as a shirt I designed. Alas, an entire family of Africans dressed in exquisite traditional garb were at the wedding and made my coat look fairly banal.

I had a very large BBQ this summer and invited the seamstress to it and since I live in a converted warehouse it houses both the photo studio as well as the woodshop.

I’m going to tie this all together, I promise.

A few days after the BBQ she emailed me asking if I could build this cabinet along with a table for her. She wanted it to feel asian-y and she gave the dimensions. She lives up in the hills, overlooking the San Francisco Bay where the fog is often below her place. So I came up with the design where the bottom doors represents the fog below and the inlays are the cherry blossoms above. The stout legs, thicker at the bottom and tapering smaller as they go up are tree trunks. The bottom of the legs are the roots where portions are above ground.

And now to tie it together. This older piece is a pure conceptual thing I did for the former girlfriend that led me to hire the seamstress. The second picture is with all the boxes removed. The door in the middle houses a Japanese ink set, the rock in the picture 3 I routed so you can grind the ink in the rectangle

Postby PFranks » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:48 pm

Wonderful story, Paul, and I love your boxy cabinet. And that ink stone is gorgeous! I've done a little sumi-e, and I really enjoy the grinding of the ink - the smell and the increasing blackness.

Could I see a picture of the back of one of those boxes? I'm interested in how they attach to the frame. I'm guessing they must slide on those rods, but I can't quite picture where the rods go.

Nice that you remain friends with your old girlfriends. I've been to the weddings of most of mine, too. And they came to mine.

Any pictures of that suit? Sounds wild!

Great imagery in that cabinet - the fog, trees, and cherry blossoms. I saw that you'd put some more explicit blossoms in some of your sketches. They could have looked nice, too. I've been experimenting with wind-blown ginkgo leaves inlaid in wood, but I haven't got a pattern I like yet.

Thanks again for sharing your stories.

- Peter
PFranks

Postby paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:34 pm

Here are the backs and placed on top of each other. The boxes slide in and out on the dados.
A few more photos here.
http://pkstudios.smugmug.com/Woodworkin ... 020_qsjD73

Postby PFranks » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:54 pm

Cool, Paul. But here's a question: say you wanted to get out the box one down and one over from the upper left corner. How do you do it? I see you sculpted the back face of the box, but there's nothing to hold onto on the front.

By the way, I love the sculpting on the back face - both inside and out. Nice touch. And that little caterpillar-like handle is very cool and organic. Great spalting in that central piece, too.

So what are you making with your thousands of mitered pieces?

- Peter
PFranks

Postby paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:07 pm

Like I said it's a conceptual piece and everything on it is done to support the concept so I'll just say you must move from the outside first to gain access to the inner boxes.

The caterpillar handle is actually a "J"....for Josephine.

The thousand miters I need to take some more photos of things in order to speak more clearly and the cameras are tied up right now on a wine set and I don't want to move them until after tomorrow.

And thanks again.

Return to Original Designs