Ebony/Cocobolo Knob from"Shorts"

Post pictures of your original, unique designs that you made. Come on! Show it off here!

Moderator: Michael

Ebony/Cocobolo Knob from"Shorts"

Postby rwest » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:58 am

Hello All,

I bought some of the wood John was selling on his Blog and decided to make a test knob to see how the two woods looked together. I think the test was a success. Would anyone else care to comment?

-Rutager
rwest

Postby PFranks » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:58 pm

Thanks so much for making that, Rutager. It'll look perfect on the box I'm making. I need two others for a cabinet I'm making, too. Could you do something elliptical?

Seriously, I think that knob's beautiful. The woods have a subtle but noticeable contrast. I bet it feels really nice, too.
PFranks

Postby rwest » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:55 pm

Peter,

The knob is yours, It was jus a practice/design exercise that I made to get a "handle" on the look(pun intended!) It might be a bit big for a box as it's 1 1/8 in dia. and a inch tall. I recently watched a youtube video from the Robert Sorby Company in which they did a two axis turning to get an elliptical shape on a spindle. I wonder if it would work on a knob. It might need a custom holding fixture made up to hold the wood. Oh, yes the wood is silky smooth! I did a little sanding and then burnshed it with some cedar shavings that were lying about.

-Rutager
rwest

Re: Ebony/Cocobolo Knob from"Shorts"

Postby User305678 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:25 pm

rwest wrote:Hello All,

I bought some of the wood John was selling on his Blog and decided to make a test knob to see how the two woods looked together. I think the test was a success. Would anyone else care to comment?

-Rutager

Rutager,

Truly beautiful knobs. I know they were experimental but are you making anything you might use them on? :?: :?:

Fred
User305678

Postby rwest » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:59 pm

Fred,

I plan on starting a 14 year overdue kitchen remodel, and most likely will use this design and a coordinating pull on the cabinets.

Thanks, Rutager
rwest

Postby PFranks » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:55 pm

Clearly I need to be checking this forum more often. The knob sounds perfect for the box I made...

I love the idea of an elliptical knob. Let me know how that works out.

So - are you going to be using the BCTW brass/cocobolo knobs for your kitchen remodel now? That would be cool!
PFranks

Postby rwest » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:16 pm

Peter,

Clearly you need to start worring about your short term memory, you already checked this knob out and made the first nice comment! Then I told you the knob is yours! The elliptical knob was also your idea!

I think the scale of the BCTW brass/Cocobolo knobs is too small for a full size cabinet, but they would look great if they were larger!

Thanks, Rutager
rwest

Nice shape

Postby flairwoodworks » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:44 pm

Rutager,

I like the shape of your knobs. I would describe it as "classic" in a way. If you removed the foot, the knob would look more contemporary. The contrast looks good. To make the insert, did you turn it round, then part it off? The contrast looks sharp, and it's an idea I'll have to store away for future work. I have some holly which might look nice.
flairwoodworks

Postby rwest » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:43 pm

Thanks Chris,

Footless, I didn't think of that, but you're right, it would look sweet!

To make the knob, I put a small block of the Ebony in a 4 jaw chuck and roughed it round, then put a bit in the tail stock and bored a shallow recess. For the Cocobolo insert, I used a small square 3/4" thick 2" x2" in the chuck and parted in from the face and cleared some material away from the sides until it fit the recess, then I glued and clamped the whole chunk of Cocobolo to the Ebony. When the glue had set up, I re-chucked the works and then parted away the rest of the Cocobolo and shaped the knob.

Please post some photos of the Holly and Cocobolo knob if you make it, I'm very curious about the look, but don't have any thick Holly around!

-Rutager
rwest

Postby PFranks » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:38 pm

Wow! That's weird, Rutager. I'm trying to imagine why I would have posted basically the same thing twice in 4 days. I think I'm losing it.

Or perhaps it was a wicked margarita for dinner. Never drink and post, they say!

Did I mention I like the knob...?
PFranks

Return to Original Designs