Concrete Bench

Post pictures of your original, unique designs that you made. Come on! Show it off here!

Moderator: Michael

Concrete Bench

Postby Michael » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:37 am

Ok, I finally am getting around to posting some images in here.

I am starting with this concrete and cherry bench. Benches can double as tables as well, and here it is being used in such a way. I have had 350lbs of humans on these benches without issue.

I have worked with concrete quite a bit and have used thin slabs rather successfully in a variety of applications. The slab is attached to the wood by 2 hanger bolts. The "washer" that I use is a 2"x 12"x 1/8" plate to increase the surface area. Square nuts secure the system.

Joints made long before KM-1 was in existence.

Proportionally, I need to increase the length of the bench. It is a bit too cozy. This started out as an experiment from an extra slab left over from another project so the length was already dictated to me. I ripped it down to this width and made the wooden hoops. I ended up making 3 of them.

As far as weight goes; well, it is concrete. :D
Michael
Site Admin

Postby ForumMFG » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:37 am

Nice work Michael.

I really do enjoy this piece but the only thing I don't like is that when you cut the concrete you can see how it chipped away. I feel that the look of that chipping takes something away from this piece.

Other then that, I wouldn't mind having this bench or table in my living room. I like the almost modern look to it.
ForumMFG

Postby flairwoodworks » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:50 pm

Michael,

Nice, contemporary bench. It seems, at first, an engineering feat, suspending a concrete slab from the frame. Just the fact that the concrete is "floating" draws attention to the bench. I agree with the other poster about the chipping - that's too bad. Is it just my eye playing tricks on me, or is there a slight - and I mean SLIGHT - upwards curve to the slab? Probably just me, as it's pretty hard to pour a slightly convex slab, though, with the right mold...

Did you drill or form the holes in the concrete for the hanger bolts? And what are the dimensions of the bench?
flairwoodworks

Postby PFranks » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:03 pm

Nice, Michael. I like the contrast of textures and colors of the concrete and wood, and the simplicity of the design. Very clever - and appealing - to hang the concrete from the leg frames.

It might be cool to contour the top of the bench by making a mold - some butt prints or a gentle curve from front to back. You could put the negatives in the bottom of the mold, and then make that surface the top of the bench. I have no idea if that's technically feasible, but it might be fun to experiment with.
PFranks

Postby Michael » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:19 pm

Thanks for the replies!

There is tiny bit of chipping in the concrete with this one, though with these crappy photos, the chipping I think is actually worse in the photo than in reality. The slab is flat, my photo is deceiving you, Chris.

This version is 42" long. I really think that making it 48" would be more functional as a two person seat. To strengthen the slab, I would add rib underneath length-wise that thickens in the center. It would not be visible unless you got on the floor.

I drilled the holes in the concrete for the hanger bolts to go through. I would cast the holes next time around now that I know the spacing.

Concrete is versatile stuff. There is a lot one can do, it is just a matter of making the form. A formed seat would be interesting. It is a lot more work too! Next one I do will be blackened concrete which really transforms the material.
Michael
Site Admin

Postby rwest » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:02 pm

Michael,

Nice bench!

Did you add any re-bar or mesh to reniforce the slab, or is it strong enough on it's own?

A black slab with Cherry will be stunning, cherry and black are a perfect contrast in my opinion.

-Rutager
rwest

Postby Michael » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:21 pm

I use all sorts of reinforcements:
Acrylic polymer, pvc fibers, and 1/8" steel rod mesh grid.

I agree, black detailing goes well with cherry.
Michael
Site Admin

Return to Original Designs