recent work, non functional craft

Post pictures of your original, unique designs that you made. Come on! Show it off here!

Moderator: Michael

recent work, non functional craft

Postby jasonmeekhof » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:24 pm

questions of life without a home
mahogany, poplar, enameled brass

part of a series of work i have been working on intending to discuss our interactions with the everyday objects that surround us, as well as the role of craft in society.

self portrait of a pot
copper, rosewood

jasonmeekhof

Postby rwest » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:29 pm

Hi Jason,

Nice work, I am drawn to the "drawer" it is very interesting! Could you expand on what motivated or inspired you to create the piece?

How did you go about making the copper pot, is it all copper or copper leaf over wood?

Thanks, Rutager
rwest

Postby jasonmeekhof » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:38 am

first the pot is raised copper, just me, a hammer, and a stake. minus the flat parts those are sheet decked onto the pot.

The underlying thought behind these to pieces is the idea that craft has come to exist in a grey area between the traditional functional object that existed in someones home, and the sculptural object that exists in the gallery world of quote Fine Art. that is why the drawer is at once growing out and being absorbed by the gallery wall. as well as why the pot is bifracted and seperated from itself sort of giving an object a sense of itself being fractured.

While conceptual in someways i also created them for the phenomenon of the object. I happen to be into phenomenology a little and find that sometimes the existence of the object for objects sake can be enough.

I am very interested in the idea of the supplemental that Glen Adamson talks about in thinking through craft as well.
jasonmeekhof

Return to Original Designs