Shallow Bowl Circa 2009

Post pictures of your original, unique designs that you made. Come on! Show it off here!

Moderator: Michael

Shallow Bowl Circa 2009

Postby rwest » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:44 pm

Hi,

I just finished this bowl at the end of the year. I was going to make a platter, but I had enough thickness , that I decided to make it a bowl!

Top view:

Bottom view:

The bowl is made of cherry and is about 10" in diameter and 1 1/2" tall with a wall thickness of about a 1/4". I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I had only a very small amount of tear out to deal with, which is huge for me since in the past I would have had to do as much sanding as turning!

Please feel free to give me any feedback.

Thanks, Rutager
rwest

Postby PFranks » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:33 pm

Nice, Rutager. I'm wondering which Bridge City Tools you used to turn that? :P
PFranks

Postby ForumMFG » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:59 am

Thats really nice, My wife would enjoy that to put on our kitchen island and to put fruit and veggies in it

Is that a laser engraved wood chip I see on the bottom?
ForumMFG

Postby rwest » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:55 pm

Thanks guys,

Peter, I did use a DC-40 to layout the circle before I bandsawed the Cherry board and one other BCTW "tool" that Forum MFG asked about!

Forum MFG, yes, it is a laser engraved 1" Maple disc that I bought from Bridge City Toolworks. I don't beleive that they still offer them, I was ordering several years worth at a time and last time I ordered them for 2007 & 2008 they told me it was the last time they were making them and they sent me 2009 & 2010 as a bonus! So I have 5 Rosewood and 5 Maple for my 2010 projects. maybe John or Michael can let us know if they can be ordered.

-Rutager
rwest

Postby ForumMFG » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:01 pm

If BCTW doesnt sell them any more, let me now. I can hook you up. I have a friend who has a laser engraver, in fact he made a career out of it. Those machines are really cool, i guess he can engrave a image on paper with his machine.
ForumMFG

Postby ForumMFG » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:04 pm

If BCTW doesnt sell them any more, let me now. I can hook you up. I have a friend who has a laser engraver, in fact he made a career out of it. Those machines are really cool, i guess he can engrave a image on paper with his machine.
ForumMFG

Return to Original Designs