Shell Box

Post pictures of your original, unique designs that you made. Come on! Show it off here!

Moderator: Michael

Shell Box

Postby flairwoodworks » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:19 am

This is my first real "production run". I'm calling it a production run because I made multiples. I used specially designed jigs to hollow out the inside and drill the holes for the pin hinges. A template was used to draw the shape of the outside of the box, and I made a set of bevels (think sliding bevel, only with a fixed blade) to layout the carved lid. Despite all the aids that I made, there was still a lot of hand work to be done.

The carving was fun (though it did get less interesting as time went on) and the finishing took a lot more time than I'd expected. But I learned a lot and turned out some pretty nice boxes. I have nine complete as of now, and another dozen (thereabouts) waiting in the shop for the final touches.

The boxes are maple and finished with sprayed lacquer. The tops were then buffed and the insides flocked.

Note to Admin: I couldn't get my photos to show up until I realized that when I clicked "Img", it would put the [img]directly%20before%20the%20photo's%20address,%20but%20it%20would%20put%20the[/img] on the next line. Only by deleting the ¶ (RETURN) was I able to get my photos to show up.

Chris @ www.flairwoodworks.com
and www.flairwoodwork.spaces.live.com
flairwoodworks

Postby rwest » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:17 pm

Hi Chris,

The shell boxes are real nice, the carved top really makes the box great! I would like to see some photos of the jigs. The jig(s) that you used for the carving of the top would be very interesting. Have you thought about continuing the carving down the front on the next batch? it would add more work, but not as much as the top!

I also like to build boxes, I'm in a veneer phase right now and am close to getting started on my next one.

Please keep the photos coming, they're like a little push to get something done!

-Rutager
rwest

Postby flairwoodworks » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:44 pm

Rutager,

Here's a picture of the layout tools I made to draw the guide lines for the top. They are sitting on a piece of 1/2" Baltic birch which I recessed to hold the lid in place while carving without the use of any double-stick tape or clamps. This was important because it allowed me to quickly and easily reposition the work to work with the grain. However, no jigs were actually used to create the scalloped lid; I carved it all by hand.

I suppose that I could use a router with a cove bit on an angled set of rails to cut the scallops, but the effect would be quite different of course.

I did use this jig to hollow out the cavity. Initially, I used the router table, but ended up inverting the jig (clamped in a vise) and using a plunge router to facilitate adjustments.

I love your idea of carving down the box. I'd never thought of doing that. You're right that it would add more work and my hollowing jig would have to be reworked, but it could very well take it to the next level.
flairwoodworks

Postby rwest » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:20 pm

Hi Chris,

I'm able to see all the pictures of the Shell Box, but I can't see any of the jigs, just a box with a red "x" Could you please try and re-post them? Thanks!

-Rutager
rwest

Postby flairwoodworks » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:32 pm

Rutager,

Try these two links.

https://gi41pq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1 ... _0575r.jpg

https://gi41pq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1 ... _4529r.jpg

If they don't work, fire me your e-mail and I'll e-mail them to you. My e-mail is chris@flairwoodworks.com

flairwoodworks

Postby rwest » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:10 pm

Hello,

Chris sent me the pictures of his jigs that he used to make the beautiful shell box in the first post above. The first picture shows his custom bevels he used to layout the carvings on the shell, and the bevels are works of art in themselves! They are sitting on the jig that holds the lid while he carves them by hand.

This photo is of the jig that he uses with a plunge router to hollow out the inside of the boxes.

Thanks again for sending me the photos!

-Rutager
rwest

Postby rwest » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:55 pm

Hi,

During the process of trying to see the pictures of Chris's Shell Box jigs, I ended up at his web site and saw the price for the box and since he was almost giving them away! I decided to order one. It arrived today and the pictures don't do it justice! The scale is perfect and the grain match between the lid and body just about make the seam disappear! The carving on the lid is excellent and really makes a statement. Nice work, Chris.

-Rutager
rwest

Postby flairwoodworks » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:26 pm

Rutager,

Thanks for the feedback. I love to hear feedback.

Out of curiousity, what do you think of the photographs? I am happy with them, but think that they could be better. I'm just not sure what exactly to do to make them better. I am an amateur photographer just starting out. I tried to capture the essence of the box and highlight the carved top at the same time.

And I'm thrilled that my perfectionist nature didn't go unnoticed! Thanks for the kind words.

flairwoodworks

Postby rwest » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:05 pm

Chris,

I think the photos came out nicely. I'm not an expert, not even close, but I wonder if you used a different color for the backdrop it might make for a better picture of the open box since the flocking is black too.

-Rutager
rwest

Return to Original Designs