Serving Trolley Circa 1979

Post pictures of your original, unique designs that you made. Come on! Show it off here!

Moderator: Michael

Serving Trolley Circa 1979

Postby John » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:52 pm

I was asked to design a dessert cart for a high-end Portland eatery in 1979. The floor of the restaurant was tiled and carpeted so I knew immediately that I would need large wheels to navigate the bumps.

This was my solution and this design turned into my most popular piece--I made 27 of these between 1979 and 1983. Sad to say, I never kept one. Most of my clients used this as an entry table.

--John

John
Site Admin

Postby rwest » Tue May 04, 2010 2:59 pm

John,

Great cart! I have to ask though; How much easier would it have been, if you had a DJ-1? I imagine getting the spokes just right was an interesting task. Is that a wooden hinge on the top or did you use a metal rod or hinge for it?

Thanks, Rutager
rwest

Postby John » Tue May 04, 2010 5:03 pm

The front wheels are the size they are because that is the minimum diameter I could make and drill the spokes holes inside out on my drill press--the wheels have leather tires and cover up any little blow-out.

Layout was easy--that is what dividers were made for.

No question, the DJ-1 would have allowed me to skip this constraint.

The flip down extension is hinged on a brass rod--one of the things I learned from Sam Maloof.

-John
John
Site Admin

Return to Original Designs