Cabinet on Legs (2007)

Post pictures of your original, unique designs that you made. Come on! Show it off here!

Moderator: Michael

Cabinet on Legs (2007)

Postby jasonmeekhof » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:48 pm

This cabinet was created for my brothers wedding with cherry our decesed grandfather had milled. The elevation is a double square. The depth is the golden mean of the width. The multi planer curved doors were a bit of a challenge. Steam bending the legs in two directions also was interesting.
I had considered stretchers in the original design however I felt I got more lift without them.

Cabinet on Legs
Cherry, Maple, Brass

Postby rwest » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:30 pm

Hi Jason,

Nice cabinet! I like the "suprise" of a drawer inside, and the variable spaced dovetails. It must have been rewarding working with sentimental materials.

Postby PFranks » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:23 pm

Yow! Wow! Beautiful!

Can you tell us a bit more about how you did the doors? I'm not sure what a "multiplaner" is.

I'd love to have one of those in my house. Breathtaking.

One little detail,,,,,

Postby savatteridesigns » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:40 pm

That's a very well thought-out cabinet.
Well built,
Very nice proportions.
Beautiful curved doors,
I like the dovetails & the grain pattern as well.

one thing does bother me a little bit........
Ok, more than a little bit.
It's those pesky little stainless magnetic catches,
with the little steel plates on the surface of the interior doors,
...thus jarring (upon opening) the beautiful look and feel of the doors youv'e created.
May I suggest an alternative solution for the next cabinet?
(or an excuse to vist your brother and his wife)

hmm, I'll take that as yes.
The short answer is "rare earth magnet"

about rare earth magnets....... ... at=1,42363

which ones? ... 2363,42348

and the holders,,,, ... 42348&ap=1

what would I do in your case?
On the top of each door, about 1 1/4" in from the edge where the two doors meet I would embed a 3/8ths inch magnet on each top edge. They are now "out of sight" On the respective points where the doors close (on the "ceiling" of the cabinet) I would embed the matching steel cup. So now your holding mechanisms almost disappear. The door's interiors are free from those little plates and your eyes take in the interior wood elements without distraction. (Now if you really wanted to get fancy slick, you could embed both magnets and opposing steel cup a 32nd of an inch more and glue stamped cutouts of matching veneers over each part of the set)

One more detail,
It's hard to tell from the photos, but if you need a stop for the door as the magnets do their thing you could embed a very small piece of wood as a brake - either below the drawer or above, in between where you have the magnet catches now. The same color as your interior, they would still not be "seen" as those pesky magnets/plates on doors do.

Roger Savatteri

Postby John » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:17 pm

Nice piece and thanks for sharing. My question, perhaps the most important question of the critique process is;

What would you do differently if you did this piece over?

You don't have to respond, but every maker should ask themselves this question after the "honeymoon" with the piece is over. It is the only way we grow as both designers and as craftspeople.

PS: I share Roger's disdain for hardware that distracts and I really like the hidden magnet idea. Another fun idea is to explore Thomas Jefferson's dual door opening system--basically a figure 8 chain that connects to gears/pulleys on each hinge line so that when you open one door the other door magically opens by itself--maybe not for this piece but it so cool when you see it work, people can't figure out what is going on.

Thanks again!
Site Admin

Postby jasonmeekhof » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:25 am

I agree as far as the catches go. I would definately do that differently. If i were to revisit this piece I think I would Try to increase the bend in the legs below the case There is about 2" of bend in both directions (forward and out: somewhat interesting to do in one shot with 2" square stock) I think that would create more of a noticable bending over effect.
As far as the doors go by multi planer I meant that the doors both curve top to bottom as well as left to right. this was accomplished with very thin layers of mdf vacuum pressed together over a form to form a "core" which was then veneered over.
I do mean to revisit this project at some point and create a new spin on it as my work continues to evolve.

Postby PFranks » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:28 pm

Thanks for the explanation of multi-planer, Jason. I was thinking you had some exotic machine that planed in three dimensions. Your method woks even better, I'm sure!

Return to Original Designs