Turned Vessel circa 2009

Post pictures of your original, unique designs that you made. Come on! Show it off here!

Moderator: Michael

Turned Vessel circa 2009

Postby rwest » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:46 pm

I drove from St Paul MN to Santa Rosa CA in August to take a class from David Marks at his studio. He showed us how to turn vessels on the lathe and then how to apply metal leaf and chemicals to get unique effects. Here is my finished project.

The top third is Mahogany, the bottom is poplar painted black with silver and gold leaf. the leaf is then covered in cheesecloth and tissue paper, then chemical is applied which causes the silver to patina. The gold doesn't change.

The class was a lot of fun and my turning skill took a huge leap forward.

Rutager
rwest

Postby flairwoodworks » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:33 pm

It sure is fun to experiement with different mediums, especially combining them. At first it may seem daunting to use metal and other non-wood materials, but there are many common rules and tools used. And using other materials opens up so many more design possibilites.
flairwoodworks

Postby PFranks » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:24 am

Lovely work, Rutager! Is the gold leaf in an actual leaf pattern, or was that just serendipity?
PFranks

Postby rwest » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:54 am

Thanks Peter,

The leaf shapes are from actual leaves, I took green leaves from a vine in my yard and stuck them to the "tacky" adhesive, then I applied silver leaf to the entire surface, then I pulled the green leaves off, and applied real gold leaf to those areas, then I treated the suface with the chemical.

It's an easy and fun way to add decoration to a project!

Rutager
rwest

Postby John » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:40 am

Rutager-

Can you shoot a pic of the decoration that fills the frame of the camera? I would love to explore the details closer.

Thanks!

John
John
Site Admin

Postby rwest » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:56 am

Close ups.
Here's some pictures of an ostrich egg that I used a similar technique, but different leaf types and chemicals.

Rutager
rwest

Return to Original Designs