Blanket Chest with Hand-Forged Hardware

Post pictures of your original, unique designs that you made. Come on! Show it off here!

Moderator: Michael

Blanket Chest with Hand-Forged Hardware

Postby flairwoodworks » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:53 pm

I built this chest of Pacific yew and as I often do, I let the wood guide me. This project was different from most because I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted the finished work to look like - ~36"x20"x18", all sides canted inwards, dovetailed corners, coopered top, and hand-forged hardware. Usually, I start knowing only what I am making (a chest, or a table), and sometimes not even that.

I didn't have a whole lot of yew available to work with and honestly didn't know if I'd have enough to finish the project. In fact, I was cutting it so close that the bottom of the chest is made up of 24 pieces. It's a neat effect and I just might do it again. The result is sort of a brick-laid effect. I started by surfacing all the stock and choosing the best material for the sides, front and back. I dovetailed them together (by hand), then moved on to the top. Because I was so short on materials, I couldn't afford to remove all the waney edges, so I made the most of it and the result is a truly unique, one-of-a-kind handle (at front-right)!

To further fancy the chest, I contoured the sides to follow the grain with carving tools and smoothing it with scrapers. I cold-forged the strap hardware, including the hinges, from 1/8" thick x 1-1/2" wide steel straps.

You can read more details of the construction at:
http://flairwoodwork.spaces.live.com

Chris @ www.flairwoodworks.com
and www.flairwoodwork.spaces.live.com)
flairwoodworks

Return to Original Designs