Couple of questions,

Moderator: Michael

Couple of questions,

Postby User304209 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:10 am

hmm, just checking to see if the forum was frozen, since I didn't see any new posts............ok, just kidding.

Regarding the DJ-1 . . . That is one incredible little woodworking angel and I look forward to ordering it before the May deadline.

Some questions,

Will bushings that aren't on the pre-order list of parts of "double sets" be available as additions, as a special order afterwards or do they need to be ordered before the May deadline? (the 5/8's 7/16'ths etc..)

Will replacement sets of the standard double bushing sets be available afterwards as well? (the 1/2", 3/8ths, etc)

In the video you show that if you want an off centered alignment you would take one side off and then adjust and drill. Is there a accessory in the works (similar in scope to the CS-2a Mortice accessory to the Centerscribe) that would allow for both sides to be gripping the part rather than one side?

Are there other accessories to the DJ-1 that are on the drawing boards as there was mention of other accessories to the Centerscribe?
. . .such as perhaps extension stock repalcements that would go beyond the 11 1/4" limit at present.
. . .or additional miter jaws available in other angles?

thanks,
Roger
User304209

Postby John » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:00 pm

Roger;

The DJ-1 uses off the shelf bushings with a .751 OD. The lead time for bushings is about a week, so you can order these later--that said, we are not stocking this tool, we will make them on a demand basis--bushings however are stocked in the US, not by us.

For off-center alignment you have two choices, take the removable jaw off, OR, use shims. In the video for the 45 degree miter drilling, look closely and you can see a shim that shifted the hole to the meaty side of the miter. It is fast, effective and probably my preferred method.

There will be no extension systems because the tool is calibrated at the time of assembly for zero backlash. Trammel drilling is likely the best solution for long reach holes.

We are working on a couple of accessories that we discovered by accident.

If you have suggestions, please share, I am sure others will chime in as to whether we should make them. The tool lends itself very will to shopmade jaws--and this may be the coolest feature of the DJ-1.

--John Economaki
John
Site Admin

Metric sized bushings?

Postby mikerawl » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:56 pm

I too am interested in bushings for different sized bits. I live and Japan and I have never seen a fractional sized drill bit here. I know that whith chisels and many other things the difference between metric and fractional is negligible and in most cases can be easily worked around. The DJ-1's extremely tight tolerances between the bushing and the drill bit lead me to believe that comparable metric drill bits simply aren't compatible with the fractional bushings.

I looked on the web to see what I could since John said it the DJ-1 uses off the shelf bushings. I didn't understand the information I found enough to feel comfortable making an order. Therefore I was wondering if it will be possible to buy bushings for metric sized bits from BCT in the future or if you might know of a possible supplier.

Mike
mikerawl

Postby John » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:33 pm

Mike-

We designed the DJ-1 around existing bushings. Basically the O.D. of the bushing is .750 and the I.D's, either metric or imperial, are too numerous to list.

What I suggest is that you make a list of the sizes you want or need and email them to either myself or Michael (john or mike @bridgecitytools.com) and we will provide a quote--they are not very expensive.

You are right, the clearance between the bit and the bushing is .0005" and matching the bushing to the bit is a big deal.

On a side note, the initial production run is just about sold out.

Hope this helps.

--John Economaki
John
Site Admin

Rusting

Postby ForumMFG » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:45 pm

Bushings started to rust just sitting in the box they came in. Have never used them yet because i need bits that fit. My question is, can the material that the dj-1 is made of rust?

The boeshield you sell, its sold as a lube right? But it also helps prevent rust? Should i use it on the bushings?
ForumMFG

Postby John » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:20 pm

First, if you would like your bushings replaced, let us know--that part is easy.

Second, you bet, hardened steel will rust if given the chance--and it is the responsibility of the owner to understand that steel, for all it's strengths, can vanish in the ether if left unattended. Look at what remains from the hand planes from ancient Rome--nothing is left but the parts made from...WOOD.

I would definitely coat the bushings with any moisture displacement product such as WD-40, BoeShield, etc...

We keep everything here coated in one way or another--but never left unattended and uncoated, if made from high-carbon steel.

--John
John
Site Admin

Postby ForumMFG » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:23 am

John,

Having you replace the bushing would be the easy and lazy way.. I'll just remove the rust and coat them. Thats for offering.

Now, the anodized aluminum on the DJ-1, can that rust as well?
ForumMFG

Postby John » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:35 am

Interesting question-yes, aluminum can rust.

Rust occurs on iron or steel when oxygen combines at the atomic level creating iron oxide.

Rust occurs on aluminum the same way but is called aluminum oxide. Anodizing is a process that thickens the native oxide layer on aluminum and then is colored with a dye.

All metal oxides are a form of "rust".

That said, you have little to fear with the aluminum parts of the DJ-1.

--John
John
Site Admin

Postby ForumMFG » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:21 pm

Thanks John,

I'll stop asking questions now so you can work on releasing that sexy tool of yours.
ForumMFG

Return to General DJ-1 Questions and Observations