Green and blue jaws still available ?

Moderator: Michael

Green and blue jaws still available ?

Postby bastard.lazy@gmail.com » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:07 am

Hello,

I have recently received my DJ-2 Drilling Jig and I'm having fun time with it.

I was however a little bit puzzled not to find the blue and green jaws (as seen in the DJ-1 videos) in the box.
I then learned that these were not provided with the DJ-2 kits.

Is it possible to order these jaws separetely ? As a boxmaker, they would be of great use for me.

Thanks.
bastard.lazy@gmail.com

Re: Green and blue jaws still available ?

Postby rwest » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:22 pm

Hi,

Those jaws only came with the first generation DJ-1; they found that people weren't using them so decided to stop making them to help bring the cost of the tool down a bit.

I've never used mine, but I like having that option if I should come across a need.

I happened to need to talk to Michael at Bridge City today and he said they didn't have any of those jaws left.

I think you could make them out of wood pretty easy, and if you would like, I could take some measurements for you.

Best,
Rutager
rwest

Postby bastard.lazy@gmail.com » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:26 am

Hi Rutager, thank you for your response.

rwest wrote:I think you could make them out of wood pretty easy

That's what I intended to do in case of unavailability of the jaws.

rwest wrote:and if you would like, I could take some measurements for you.

That would be very kind of you.

Best regards.
bastard.lazy@gmail.com

Postby rwest » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:41 am

Ok, here we go for jaw sizing; I'm not going to go through the measurnents of the mounting side, as the CAD file is in another thread under this section and it is the same as the orange jaws and you might just be better off marking directly from the DJ onto your wooden jaws.

In the picture below, the 45 degree jaws, the length of the jaws is: 3.62". The small jaw triangle sides are: 1". The large jaw height is 1" the bottom length is 1.92" the top length is 1.06" Where the long side meets the 45 degree side, it doesn't form a sharp corner, there is a .125" face ( a bit hard to see in the picture, but look to the back slot and you can see it.
DJ-1 Jaws 002.JPG
DJ-1 Jaws 002.JPG (33.97 KiB) Viewed 4485 times

The next step will be the slots looking from the longest side: the slots are .5" wide by 1" deep and go all the way through. There is really no reason for us to fool with measurments on where they land on the jaw, because they are clearance holes for the tool, so the best way to set them up is to clamp your drilling jig to the jaw, put in the 1/2" bushing and drill both sides- perfect location!
DJ-1 Jaws 008.JPG
DJ-1 Jaws 008.JPG (35.61 KiB) Viewed 4485 times

The 22.5 jaws are even easier; no clearance holes. The smallest jaw is .55" on the longer side and .185" on the shorter. The bigger jaw is .96" on the longer side and .585" on the shorter side.

DJ-1 Jaws 011.JPG
DJ-1 Jaws 011.JPG (30.68 KiB) Viewed 4485 times

I hope I didn't miss any thing, if I did, let me know and I'll get you the information.

Best,
Rutager
rwest

Return to General DJ-1 Questions and Observations