Mortising with DJ-1

Moderator: Michael

Mortising with DJ-1

Postby webb » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:56 pm

I'm using the DJ-1 with a hand brace to drill out waste in mortises. It works great if the holes do not overlap, but I'd like to space the holes with overlap so there's less waste to clear out. When I do overlap the holes I find the bit catches on the end and the jig slides towards the existing hole. Bit is brand new and decent quality.

Thoughts on the best way to prevent this? Clamping helped but I still detected some travel.

The dream is still there: to quietly and efficiently cut mortises.
webb

Re: Mortising with DJ-1

Postby rwest » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:56 pm

Hi Webb,

I read this a week ago and was just about to do some mortises myself, so here's how I did my drilling: I layed out the mortises with my CS-2- more to keep myself from drilling two left sides or something else dumb. Then I put a stop on my bit, which interfered with the knob on the DJ-1, so I removed the knob, which made the bushing wiggle. So I made a wooden collar to space the stop and get the knob back holding everything true. I then put the works in the bench vise- which I do for most of my drilling and believe will be the answer to getting your set-up to work. I had no slippage and my mortise almost appeared like a router cut:

DJ-1 Mortise 001.JPG
DJ-1 Mortise 001.JPG (40.4 KiB) Viewed 7260 times

Here's the slot:

DJ-1 Mortise 002.JPG
DJ-1 Mortise 002.JPG (34.29 KiB) Viewed 7260 times

I was able to overlap as little or as much as I wanted- no sliding in the vise.

Best,
Rutager
rwest

Postby rwest » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:58 pm

Just a update with an even better way to hold the stock for speed and convience: Using the Universal Jaws and setting the orange jaws to act as a shelf really speeds up the works by keeping the stock from falling to the floor when you move to the next drilling location.

Here's the set-up:

DJ-1 Mortise2 002.JPG
DJ-1 Mortise2 002.JPG (40.27 KiB) Viewed 7206 times

Here it is in the bench vise:

DJ-1 Mortise2 001.JPG
DJ-1 Mortise2 001.JPG (39.79 KiB) Viewed 7206 times

After each hole, I loosen the knobs and the vise, then slide the stock forward half a hole and re-tighten everything- repeat as needed.

-Rutager
rwest

Postby webb » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:42 pm

Thanks Rutager for the great post with pictures and all! The suggestion to use the Universal Jaws as a shelf is fantastic.

The differences between our setups that I see:
- you are using vise, I'm using quick clamp
- potential bit difference.

You have likely pointed me in the right direction. Much appreciated.

-webb
webb

Postby rwest » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:17 pm

You're welcome Webb,

I had suspected that you were using a quick clamp and that was why it slipped, I don't think the bit was causing any of the problem. I tried a standard Jorgenson "F" clamp tonight and I didn't get any slippage, although the bench vise makes everything so much easier.

DJ-1 Mortise 3 001.JPG
DJ-1 Mortise 3 001.JPG (41.19 KiB) Viewed 7195 times

Best,
Rutager
rwest

Postby webb » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:01 pm

Great to know. I'm redoing the chair arms with hidden mortises this time, and I'll use a proper clamp.

Side note, I have serious hand brace envy. I'm using the small brace on this page http://www.fine-tools.com/bohr1.htm Works well enough, but is quite small.

Thanks again Rutager.
webb

Return to General DJ-1 Questions and Observations