Cable-Pulley Mechanism

Moderator: Michael

Cable-Pulley Mechanism

Postby mmam12@lboro.ac.uk » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:45 am

Hi there,

I am wondering if anyone would be able to explain how the cable-pulley self centring mechanism works in the DJ-1 and CS-2 works. This would be very useful to me in my mechanical engineering university project in the UK.

Not being able to physically hold and look at the tool makes trying to understand the mechanism very hard and frustrating. Hopefully some of you experts will be able to give a decent explanation to help me on my way.

A few questions;

1. Is the cable closed loop, or are their two separate cables running through each arm?

2. At the free end of the long arm (opposite end to jaw), is the component in the circular hole a pin to fix the end of cable, or is it a roller? Please see pic below...

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/media/ca ... 2_02_1.jpg

3. inside the centralised block, what is the cable configuration? From the pictures I have seen, it seems there are two pulley wheels?

If anyone could possibly provide any information/drawings/photos dissembled/instructions manual of the tool, this would be a massive help

I look forward to your response,

Many thanks,

Adam
mmam12@lboro.ac.uk

Re: Cable-Pulley Mechanism

Postby Michael » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:04 pm

Hey there,
I'll try and answer the questions for you:

1. Is the cable closed loop, or are their two separate cables running through each arm?
2 cables, each end attaches to the different arms
2. At the free end of the long arm (opposite end to jaw), is the component in the circular hole a pin to fix the end of cable, or is it a roller? Please see pic below... It is a screw the fastens the cable to the arm.

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/media/ca ... 2_02_1.jpg

3. inside the centralised block, what is the cable configuration? From the pictures I have seen, it seems there are two pulley wheels? Two pulleys, one for each cable. The cables goes around the pulley and over to the other leg.

Hope this helps!
Michael
Michael
Site Admin

Postby mmam12@lboro.ac.uk » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Hey,

Thanks for your reply, its cleared a lot of things up for me - I think I now understand the mechanism. One last question;

How is the cable kept in tension? particularly so when the mortise and tenon accessory is applied is used, how is the excess cable slack taken up?

Thanks again,

Adam
mmam12@lboro.ac.uk

Postby Michael » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:11 am

There is no excess cable, the cable is never loose. The cables are fastened tight on both ends. The Mortise and Tenon attachment merely offsets the center line.

Michael
Michael
Site Admin

Return to General DJ-1 Questions and Observations