Forstner Frustration

Moderator: Michael

Forstner Frustration

Postby Niels » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:45 pm

Hi All,
So tonight I tried out a forstner bit (freud 3/4 diabolo) with the dj-1.
I made one test hole and everything worked fine. On the second test the forstner bit bound up in the bushing and it I had to tap out the bit with a mallet.
After I got the bushing off the shank was in pretty rough shape and is probably toast (as far as use in the jig). I also fear that the jig itself may have gotten tweaked a little as well. :cry:

Im glad things went pear-shaped during test cuts and not with the actual work piece, but I'm still pretty frustrated.

Has anybody had a similar problem?
Niels

Postby rwest » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:15 pm

Niels,

I didn't have a similar problem, I had the exact same problem! Using the same bit and using a hammer to remove it from the bushing. I think the problem is two fold; The bit is just too tight in the bushing, and the steel of the bit is too soft. I would recommend the FAMAG brand bit and a 8mm bushing. It's a nice sliding fit.

Hope this helps.

-Rutager
rwest

Postby Niels » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:53 pm

Thanks Rutager, makes me feel a little less foolish.

Unfortunately, Im in a little bit of a crunch and I wont be in the neighborhood of a woodcraft till next Tuesday. I spent the evening trying to set up my drill press to make the same hole and have yet to have any luck.

However, i think i reverse engineered a really dirt simple solution based on the dj-1. It's going to be more of a dj-zero! shouldn't take but 15 minutes to slap together.

cheers,
Niels
Niels

Postby John » Mon May 03, 2010 3:40 pm

Folks;

This may be an oversight on our part here, but whenever you have a bushing and a solid shaft, both of steel, lubrication is mandatory. Light oil is what I use.

I will make sure we note this and make it a DJ-1 Sticky as well.

Neils-if you think you fried your bushing let us know and we will send you another. Same with the DJ-1 if you think somehow it is not to spec after the freeze.

-John
John
Site Admin

Return to General DJ-1 Questions and Observations