Why two drill bushings?

Moderator: Michael

Why two drill bushings?

Postby 6jaw » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:43 am

I'm curious about the design goals for having two bushing locations. Yes, the 2.5" separation may be useful for drilling matched holes in some limited number of applications, but in general it seems the DJ-1 is all about using one of the bushing locations.

Have you ideas for the second bushing location? What were the thoughts about its utility when DJ-1 was designed?

I'm interested in drilling accurately spaced holes for things like drawer pulls and wish to avoid multiple measuring and marking of pairs of holes.
I really like the philosophy of putting work into jigs and fixtures to eliminate repeated measurement.

I can design something to fixture into DJ-1 using the otherwise unused bushing location and provide an adjustable slide with an alignment pin to locate in the first hole drilled. In use, the first of 'N' drawer front mounting holes would be drilled with one fixturing (will make an adjustable side stop so DJ-1 positions a hole a settable distance from one end of a drawer front), then the adjustable slide with pin to fit the first hole is inserted and the location of the second hole is accurately spaced.

John
6jaw

Postby ForumMFG » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:24 am

John,

I am in the commercial Cabinet/Millwork industry and all our cabinet is "euro" style which means they use the 32mm system. If I am not mistaken the distance between each bushing is 64mm. Half of that is 32mm. Just that aspect of the tool can make it very useful for people who use the 32mm system.

32mm plays into the "euro" style hinges, slides, pulls, adjustable shelves holes, etc

Hope this helps.

-Dave
ForumMFG

Postby 6jaw » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:14 am

Thanks, that does help. I was puzzling a bit over the odd 2 thousandths in the bushing separation I found in the sticky drawing. Thought it a casual 2.5" :D
6jaw

Return to General DJ-1 Questions and Observations