Lathe Jig

Moderator: Michael

Lathe Jig

Postby rwest » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:09 am

Hi,

I've come up with a simple way to use the DJ-1 on a lathe. Using this jig with the indexing feature of a lathe will allow you to do a myriad of decorative and functional drilling operations. My lathe is an old Delta heavy duty lathe that accepts a 1" diameter post in the tool rest holder. I believe that this is a common size. The jig is built using steel plumbing pipes and fittings along with a 5/16-18 studded knob.

Here it is being used to drill a series of graduated holes on the face of a bowl/platter blank:

The holes plugged with Ebony:

Here it is set up to drill angled holes on a spindle with a good view of the parts of the jig showing, please note the flange that were round had to be trimmed to mount to the DJ-1.

Finding center:

The parts I used to make the jig, minus the mounting flange, wich is shown in the other photos:

To make this jig, I used 3/4" pipe for the tool post since the outside dia. is slightly less than an inch. I used a 3/4" "T" which will allow a 1/2" pipe to slide through it. I drilled and tapped the "T" for a 5/16-18 knob and then used a 1/2 mounting flange which I trimmed to allow me to mount the DJ-1. To mount the DJ-1 to the flange I used slightly longer screws and used the holes that were already in the flange, they didn't line up perfectly, but they worked!

A few notes and thoughts; There is a fair amount of play between the "T" and the 1/2" pipe before the knob is tightened, which makes it a bit of a challenge to get the jig adjusted just right. Since this jig uses plumbing pipes and fittings, I could see it being used for other things, like mounting it to a bench or floor and using longer pipe to hold the jig in place to drill a hole in a odd shaped object or sculpture(I'm talking to you Roger!) Lastly, I gave my first jig to John, with the hope that he might offer a nice machined(read, no slop!) version. So let him know if you think he should build them and also check your tool rests to see what size post fits in it, so he will know if there are compatability issues.

-Rutager
rwest

Postby ForumMFG » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:05 am

Nice jig Rutager! Instead of the piping you could use some 8020 material to take care of some of the play?
ForumMFG

Postby rwest » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:37 am

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the compliment!

I looked up 8020, and it appears to be t-slotted square section extrusions, correct? If that's the case, I'm not sure it would work as well as circular stock. Having the moving surfaces round gives a lot of flexibility in postioning the jig. My first hope is that there is enough interest to warrant BCTW making a version, my back up plan will be to have a machine shop drill a hole through some 1" stock to fit some 1/2" stock to eliminate the slop. Then I'll make a custom mounting plate.

Just for the record, the current jig will cost you less then 15 bucks in off the shelf parts to make, and after you fiddle with the settings a bit, will lock down very rigidly and work very well!

-Rutager
rwest

Postby PFranks » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:34 am

Very cool, Rutager! I don't have a lathe, but I can see that this would be a very useful tool. I'm trying to imagine how your jig might also be useful on a bench for drilling flat things - like a drill press, but smaller, more accurate, and more versatile.
PFranks

Postby ForumMFG » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:19 am

Shoot, for 15 bucks why do you need anyone to make you thing jig, right?!
ForumMFG

Postby flairwoodworks » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:29 am

You are very inventive, Rutager. It's interesting to see all the less-obvious uses. This one is teriffic.
flairwoodworks

lathe jig

Postby User308609 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:08 pm

hey Rutager,
I see you're determined to make the DJ-1 do just about everything in the shop! I like your style man, although the execution on this particular jig is a bit forced, a bit inelegant to my eye--the idea of marrying a precision tool to a wobbly pipe. I was thinking that maybe adapting a Bogen super clamp (an adjustable hold-all that photographers use a lot) may give you some better control. Also, there's an article in the most current issue of Woodturning Design regarding yet another approach. But I think the best solution here is the Drill Wizard from Oneway that will fit right into your toolrest and give you the precision and repeatability you need.
User308609

Postby rwest » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:21 pm

Hi,

So you say you like my style? Then I may have a leisure suit to sell you!

I haven't used the drill wizard, but every turning catalog that has come to my house has that page dog eared. I was going to get one, but I see several advantages in using the DJ-1. Now keep in mind that the jig is not what anyone sees in the finished product, and the wobble goes away once the knob gets tightened, though I will try and make up a beter version with some Au rod someday. Now for the benefits: The DJ-1's jaws are made to center on round stock so you always end up with your hole centered and perpendicular to the stock; secondly, by using drill bushings, the bit can't wander off of your intentions. I'm not super knowledgable about the Bogen, but think I have seen them being used when I've helped a photographer on a shoot; I think they could work, but since they are called "super," does that mean they're expensive?

-Rutager
rwest

Postby User308609 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:54 am

Hey, whatever works--that's what really counts. Did not know if you were familiar with the other products. By the way, how did that bowl shown in the pics finally turn out?
Yes, "super" can imply expensive, although I think in this case it's more about versatility. But I don't know why you're so concerned about cost, since you're making the next jig with gold rod. I know you meant Al instead of Au, but I couldn't resist...
And yeah, I guess I got pissed because you bought up all the extra DJ-1s. So when I called to try and get one, they were all sold out. So I was like: Newman!, er I mean, "Rutager!" under my breath. Mind you, it was way after the cutoff date, because it took me a lot longer than you to figure what I would use it for--I mean like a specific project, not walking around the house with it and musing: "Now, let's see... if I wanted to drill a perfect hole in this window here..."

Teo
User308609

Postby rwest » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:05 am

Teo,

Golds on my mind, aluminium is in my wallet! It's been a long time since I looked at the periodic table!

I didn't get greedy on the DJ-1, I only have one of them and if it seems like I just look for things for it to do; you're spot on, I'm trying to part with my favorite tool in my shop; a old Walker Turner Radial drill press, so I need to be certain before I let it go. The thing is very cool, but takes up a lot of space.

The bowl blank; it's still sitting around un-turned! I may work on it soon since I need to enter something in our guilds annual show!

-Rutager
rwest

Return to General DJ-1 Questions and Observations