What Forstner bit brand are you using?

Moderator: Michael

What Forstner bit brand are you using?

Postby rwest » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:12 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know of a brand of forstner bits that have a body that fits in a regular size bushing? I have a cheap imported set that has 3 or 4 different lower shank diameters, none of which fit in the standard bushings. I e-mailed CMT and they said theirs are .4725 which is still a custom size, but at least I would only need 1! I'm hoping someone can recommend a Quality American made set with a DJ-1 friendly shaft size.

Thanks for any help, Rutager
rwest

Postby savatteridesigns » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:22 am

John,

On the subject of Forstner bits I have the same question as Rutager. (and the same cheap set!) I looked at the Lee Valley site and they seem to have a high quality set in metric, http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx ... ,180,42240 which "might" be compatible with my metric set bushings. (I would have to call on Monday and actually have them measure each shaft in the set) ,,,, for metric bits.

But as far as an imperial set these high speed steel ones might work, http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx ... ,180,42240, but again I'll have to call to verify.
Mc-master Carr has a selection with shafts that seem to match the imperial bushings, http://www.mcmaster.com/#forstner-drill-bits/=4pkhhj with shaft sizes from 5/32" - 1/2".

So, my "big question" is - does the company that is providing the Drill & Driver sets the new CT16 have a high quality forstner selection that would be compatible with the DJ-1? - and would be a higher quality and/or equal or less to the pricepoint of the bits mentioned above?

Roger
savatteridesigns

Postby savatteridesigns » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:10 am

Rutager,

Regarding "USA made forstner bits this was the reply when I emailed Michael the question, his reply . . . . "Not sure where you can find some US made forstner bits. The best ones that I have seen are made in Germany or Austria."

So next week I'll call Lee Valley and Mcmastercarr asking them about the bits I mentioned above. Have you found anything in the meantime?

roger
savatteridesigns

Postby SteveOH » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:59 am

Forstner bit shank diameters are often metric, even when the business end is not. So the .4725" that Rutager mentions in his first post is probably actually 12mm. I have a rather eclectic assortment of Forstner and sawtooth bits, and the shank diameters include 1/4", 8mm (or 5/16"), 3/8", 12mm, 15mm and 17.5mm.

-Steve
SteveOH

Postby savatteridesigns » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:17 pm

Steve,

Your right, but I think as far as my "imported" set goes they are at half metric sizes (xx.5) I have the full set of metric bushings for the DJ-1 and the shanks didn't match up. As I stated above - next week I'll make a few calls and have them actually measure the shafts of the German and American made bits they have in stock and report back.

cheers,
roger
savatteridesigns

Postby rwest » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:30 pm

Hi Steve and Roger,

The CMT bits are 12.25mm so that doesn't help either! At this point, I'm leaning towards buying a CMT set and dropping off a bit at the bushing company(they are local to me!) and getting a custom one milled. I have already talked with them and the drawback is that there is a $35 set up charge added to the cost of each size bushing ordered in addition to the bushing cost. so one bushing will be about $50! But then I'll be set.

Roger,

Please let us know what you find out about the ones you're looking at. I have my fingers crossed!

-Rutager
rwest

Postby savatteridesigns » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:41 pm

Rutager,

My fingers are crossed as well, if all else fails let's talk about those special order bushings you just mentioned. (that set up fee just got halved)

Roger
savatteridesigns

Postby rwest » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:52 am

Roger,

My thought exactly! If we decide on a brand of bits that need a custom bushing, I'll get the bushings ordered and we(or several others!) can split the costs.

Rutager
rwest

Postby rwest » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:42 pm

Hi,

I just returned from my local Woodcraft store, and had the clerk measure the shaft of a 1 3/8 Bormax bit made by Famag in Germany. It was a slight bit less then 12mm, so I bought it and it fits beautifully in the 12mm bushing! I called back and asked if he would measure some of the other sizes, he agreed and will call me back.

This brand is like most of the others, where it seems like they use 4 or 5 different lower shaft diameters. I'm hoping that they all will be a standard bushing diameter! I'll report back once I know, and will buy them and make sure they work, before I suggest them to others.

-Rutager
rwest

Postby rwest » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:11 pm

Howdy,

I returned to Woodcraft today with my digital calipers and with permission, I set about measuring the Bormax forstner bits made by FAMAG of Germany. The good news is that they are even metric sizes, the bad news is that currently BCTW is out of stock on many of the metric sizes. Hopefully a new shipment is coming soon!

The bits I measured where 3/4 & 5/8 and they are a little less than 8mm. The 7/8 & 1 are a little less than 10mm, The 1 1/8, 1 1/4, and the 1 3/8 are a little less than 12mm(I have this size bushing at the fit is nice!) The 1 1/2 & 1 5/8 is a little bit less than 14mm.

I hope this information is helpfull and if you know of any other brands that work please post them.

Now that I have theses bits and one of the bushings, I will be able to work on a couple of custom jaw ideas that I couldn't do with out forstner bits. Stay tuned, I will post them when I figure them out!

-Rutager
rwest

Postby rwest » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:54 pm

Hi,

Just a quick update. I received a 14mm bushing from BCTW today and checked the fit on the 1 1/2 & 1 5/8 size bits and they were perfect too!

-Rutager
rwest

Postby rwest » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:51 pm

Hi,

I just received my 8mm & 10mm bushings today and verified the fit of the 3/4 & 5/8 Bormax bits from Famag in the 8mm bushing and the 7/8 & 1" bits in the 10mm size!

I now have a set of forstner bits 5/8" thru 1 5/8" by 1/8" increments, that work nicely in 8,10,12, and 14mm bushings.

Hopefuly this information will be useful to others.

-Rutager
rwest

Re: What Forstner bit brand are you using?

Postby User305345 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:58 pm

rwest wrote:I have a cheap imported set that has 3 or 4 different lower shank diameters, none of which fit in the standard bushings.

I just received my DJ-1, haven't used it yet. I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out why one would want the shank in the bushing. Doesn't what drives it pretty much hold it in place?

I must be missing something really simple. ?
User305345

Postby rwest » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:09 pm

Hi,

Congratulations on getting your new tool, it will change the way you drill holes for the better!

The reason for putting the shank into the bushing is a simple matter of size, the biggest bit you can run through the bushings is around 5/8 of an inch. If you want to drill big holes with a forstner bit you have the shank in the bushing and the business end hanging under the DJ-1. You will also need to make a custom set of jaws or get the new universal jaw set that John is working on. Check out my other post on offset/notching for a visual, and check the section for ordering the DJ-1, or Youtube for Johns video on it that shows using a forstner bit in it.

Keep checking back on the forum, as I still have around 9 custom jaw ideas that I'm slowly working on!

-Rutager
rwest

Postby User305345 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:32 am

rwest wrote:...If you want to drill big holes with a forstner bit you have the shank in the bushing and the business end hanging under the DJ-1. You will also need to make a custom set of jaws ...-Rutager

Thanks for putting it back in perspective for me. The video-- forstner portion-- was much clearer after having actually held and seen the device, along with your essplanation.

I would have thought that making a DJ-1 perfectly centered pilot hole in the workpiece would have been enough to start the large forstner off jig, then remembered, with help, that some of them have tiny center spurs for one thing, then there's getting the workpiece clamped in place Just So square, and so on.

I will re-check the other posts, and I will be watching to see what wonders you guys come up with. I can see the value of the custom jaws now, and I get the shank thing.
Thanks.
User305345

Next

Return to General DJ-1 Questions and Observations