DJ-1 as a centerscribe

Moderator: Michael

DJ-1 as a centerscribe

Postby User306109 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:17 am

Aside from being able to mark mortises, is there any advantage to owning/using the new centerscribe to perform a task that cannot also be accomplished with the DJ-1 jig? It seems that one could use a pen/pencil/scribe point that matches one of the guide bushings to accomplish the same things.

Jon
User306109

Postby rwest » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:21 pm

Hi Jon,

Besides the saying, "He who dies with the most tools wins!" I can see a couple of reasons to own both. The first would be scale, the DJ-1 is pretty big and if you were using small stock in your projects it might be a bit unwieldy. The second would be if you had the DJ-1 set up to drill on angles or another custom set up, you would have to change it back and forth to do layout and then drilling. Neither one of these reasons are huge, but when I get in the "groove" I don't like to be slowed down by petty issues. Hope this was helpful!

Rutager
rwest

Re: DJ-1 as a centerscribe

Postby rob@robshively.com » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:04 pm

I've found another reason to own a center scribe in addition to the DJ-1. The latter just doesn't hold a pencil well. I tried different pencils (mechanical and wooden) and various bushings. None were very satisfactory. So now I want a centerscribe.
rob@robshively.com

Re: DJ-1 as a centerscribe

Postby alleslie@ruraltel.net » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:56 pm

I made my own bushing for the DJ-1 to use it as a centerscribe, detail in a thread on talkFestool. see post #26

http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/bridge-ci ... 2-a-3.html

8)
alleslie@ruraltel.net

Return to General DJ-1 Questions and Observations