Bushing Specification for ordering your own custom sizes

Moderator: Michael

Bushing Specification for ordering your own custom sizes

Postby Michael » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:50 pm

Everyone seems to have different needs for the DJ-1 so I would like to pass on information on how you can order your own size of bushings. The largest Inside Diameter is 5/8" which was included in the Works package.

You can order your bushings from Midwest Machine Tool Supply
http://www.drill-bushings.com/
(763) 571-3550

Type P, .75" OD, .75" tall.

We have specified a flat to be ground on each bushing. This is more important for the larger sizes than on the smaller ones. The flat is .217" wide for a depth of .016"

Let me know if you need any help!
Michael
Michael
Site Admin

auger bits don't fit in bushings

Postby johnb » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:28 pm

I now use mostly hand tools; so I tried to use my irwin and simmons auger drill bits with the DJ-1 bushings. They are all to large in all diameters with any of the auger bits I have ( I have 5 complete sets). My more expensive twist drills (brad point or strait twist) work but are a very tight fit. (There are problems with the cheaper drill bits). The auger bits work fine with the bushings in my old stanley 59 dowel jig. I can use twist bits with my old eggbeaters and braces but it would be nice to be able to use auger bits. Do you suppose your bushing supplier would supply a set that were a couple of thousandths bigger?

John
johnb

Postby Michael » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:28 pm

Any bushing size can be made. The size and tolerance range can be specified to whatever you need.

Did you caliper the augers to see what the size difference is?
Michael
Site Admin

Return to General DJ-1 Questions and Observations