Recommended bits?

Moderator: Michael

Recommended bits?

Postby rwest » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:22 pm

John,

I thought I should get some sharp new bits to use in my DJ-1. Normaly I think of brad point bits for wood, but since the jig will keep the bit from moving on the wood, would the less expensive twist drill bits be fine, or even a better choice to use? What are the pro's and con's of each, or does it even matter?

Thanks, Rutager
rwest

Postby John » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:43 am

Rutager-

If you are going to drill in end grain, I can personally say that twist bits work better than brad points.

On face grain where you do not want any grain tear-out, brad points are better.

Word to the wise on cheap twist drills; most of the drills in the drill sets from China are pot metal except for the 1/8", 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2"--I know because I was at the factory. Leave it to Americans to assume that a 118 pc twist drill set for $19.95 is a great deal.

--John
John
Site Admin

Reccommend Bits

Postby Matt » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:53 am

John,

I just received my DJ-1, took it to my shop and discovered that all of the drill bits I own are old, worn, and out of tolerance. Since none of these bits fit into the bushings, I figure that it is time to get a set of higher tolerance bits. Could you recommend a manufacturer or two that makes good bits (or if you are uncomfortable with naming a brand) or could you give the specs I should look for in good bits (ie this kind of steel, that tolerance,...

I look forward to getting the new bits and trying out my new tool!

Thanks,

Matt
Matt

Postby Michael » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:59 pm

As a basic set, I have had decent luck with Montana Brand Tools' bits. They are made in, er, Montana too.
http://www.montanabrandtools.com/PageID ... ducts.aspx

I believe they do have Brad Point bit sets that are not on their web site. You'll have to call and check.

Most industrial supply catalogs like McMaster Carr and MSC will have bits of all ranges. Numbered, lettered, fractional sets are labeled either as Import or Made in USA.

Michael
Michael
Site Admin

Return to General DJ-1 Questions and Observations