My observations

My observations

Postby Jawatson1031@gmail.com » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:47 pm

To john ,

I was an initial founder, on automatic acceptance to each new endeavor and designed and built a magnificent board to house your beautiful creations. I actually use many frequently and treasure them especially commenterive pieces made for founders. I finally said, I give when the planes started coming at prices that were a little steep for my pocketbook. I do have the first which I think is a true collectors item.

It appears now that many of the tools are enhanced versions of your initial tools honed out if solid brass and rosewood and now are milled and cast. This is no way criticism, however, I guess you are aiming towards collectors who just love looking at these masterpieces. The costs of producing them let alone the immense amount of time that you design and conceive them dictates the high prices. God bless those out there who can afford them. These tools are only as good as the hands that use them and then of course the machines that follow the lines that they make.

You probably won't remember when I called you and asked if Chris was related to you. I had suggested back then the magnetic slides on your most recent offerings.

I will continue to marvel at the tools and occasionally spring for a 3-1000 dollar marvel. I still have a little more room on my board of pride that houses BRIDGECITY TOOLS. JW
Jawatson1031@gmail.com

Re: My observations

Postby Consuelo » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:51 am

Hello!

Thank you for your enthusiasm for our tools over the years. Majority of our Bridge City customers love using their tools, as it is incredibly accurate and simple to use.

We certain have moved away from using rosewood due to its scarcity, and briefly offered juara wood as well for a certain time being. For the past several years, our tools are mainly composed of stainless steel or aluminum and have stopped using wood as part of the tool materials. We understand that the change in aesthetics is not preferred by everyone, but this is direction that the company has moved forward with for several years now.

It's always wonderful to hear from those who have admired, used, and treasured Bridge City tools from the very beginning! We hope to hear from you soon again.

Happy Woodworking!

- Consuelo
Consuelo

Postby blalock_kelly@yahoo.com » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:09 pm

Consuelo,

I, too, was only of the early subscribers, but I never could get all of the Commemorative Tools, or the limited edition tools, due to cost. I even got to visit the OOOOOLLLLLLDDDDDDD BCT shop one time I was visiting Portland, before you guys moved into nicer digs, and met John and the crew about the time the first block plane was going into production. I got to watch some of the process...really cool. My last order was in 2009.

I have much the same sentiment about my BCT items, but unfortunately I am retired and had to condense my shop space. That and the fact that I have not used most of my BCTools is precipitating my decision to sell most, but not all of my BCT collection. How would be the best way to get these advertised on the forum? Kelly Blalock
blalock_kelly@yahoo.com

Postby Consuelo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:34 am

Hi Kelly!

I'm glad to hear that you were able to visit our former headquarters back then! It's always really nice to hear stories about those who have made the pilgrimage to visit us.

Though we do not oversee, monitor, and dictate values of used tools, I believe there definitely is a strong market for our older tools, especially the ones that most people can't get their hands on anymore today. There are customers who periodically check our forums, particularly this area where one sells their beloved Bridge City tools to another enthusiast: http://www.bridgecitytools.com/discussi ... um.php?f=4

Our discontinued tools section on our website list the last selling price we sold the tool for and may be a good reference for you: http://www.bridgecitytools.com/default/ ... re=default

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!

Best,
Consuelo
Consuelo

Return to Posting Images