Getting to know the JMP

Moderator: Michael

Getting to know the JMP

Postby JameelAbraham » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:54 pm

Earlier this year I dropped some serious cash on a JMP. It had been in my mind every since I saw it at a Lie-Nielsen event in Chicago last year. I bought the JMP with some pretty specific tasks in mind. I haven't had a chance to use the JMP for those tasks yet, but since I had a day off today, I thought I'd make some test cuts to begin the process of familiarizing myself with the tool.

The main purpose of this test was to evaluate the process of cutting small dovetails, in order to get a good fit right off the saw, with no paring of the sides of the tails or pins. I didn't worry about chopping a dead flat shoulder on the joint. I was only concerned with how the pins fit the tails. I cut the pins first and used a sharp pencil to transfer the pins to the tail board. I cut all of the tails by eye, lining up the pencil line with the edge of the blade. The joint went together sweetly. These are one-pass cuts in 5/16" hard maple. All of the cuts are dead on. Well, one is off, but that's my own fault, I didn't cut on the waste side of the line. The rest are excellent, and after gluing the joint, are completely tight. After today's test, I can't imagine a better way to cut delicate, fine dovetails. And extremely fast as well. The other joint is hard maple and wenge. And it was cut just as easily. I actually cut the tails first in this joint and marked the wenge from those. Mistake. Even scribe lines in wenge are impossible to see. Yet the JMP managed to do the job. The joint is near perfect. I can't wait to put the JMP to use for my original purpose. That is going to be a lot of fun. Stay tuned...

JameelAbraham

Return to Jointmaker Pro Projects