Compound Sided Jewelry Box Trays

Moderator: Michael

Compound Sided Jewelry Box Trays

Postby rwest » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:32 pm

Hello,

I made the compound miter cuts for the corners of these trays and most of the miters on the inner dividers with my JMP. I looked up the angles in the BCTW booklet; Woodworkers Guide to Compound Miters (it is still available and is only 5 dollars, money well spent!) I then entered the numbers into my AMP-6i and transfered the angles to bevel gauges and used them to set the blade and fence. I got perfect results on the first try! I did use my router table for the "v" grooves since they needed to stop at the dado for the bottom. There are more photos and info in the Original Design section of the forum under Confounded, Compounded! A Jewelry Box.

-Rutager
rwest

Postby ForumMFG » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:25 am

Absolutely amazing Rutager. You like making small boxes don't you. What type of wood did you use for this project?
ForumMFG

Got to see this one at the Guild Show

Postby BobMetzger » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:23 pm

It's more amazing in person. I saw this and thought it was your
work. I checked in the brochure and sure enough it was.
You may be developing your signature style.

Very Nice!!!!
BobMetzger

Postby rwest » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:00 pm

Thanks guys,

Dave,

Yes, I'm in a box making stage and judging by all the books on the subject, I don't think I'm alone! They're fun and challenging to make and give a lot of leeway to be creative. The trays have a 3 Ebony 2 Holly sandwich that caps the top 1/4" of the tray the lower part is solid Ebony. I would have made the sandwich the whole height of the side, but I had just enough of the thin pieces milled to make the caps, and didn't see any reason to mill up a bunch more.

Bob,

Too bad I missed you, I just about lived at the mall Fri- Sun! I'll look for you at next years show, maybe you'll enter something too!

-Rutager
rwest

Return to Jointmaker Pro Projects