Setting blade angles

Moderator: Michael

Setting blade angles

Postby Matt » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:12 am

What is the best way to set the blade so that it is square? Meaning, how do you set the keel for a perfect 0 deg. angle? Is there a procedure to getting this correct?

Also, what is the best way to insure that the tables/sacrificial fence is square to the blade?

Matt
Matt

Postby John » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:37 am

Matt;

We always check the cut, not the set-up--this works for both blade tilt and fence adjustments.

Make a cut and check the cut with a reference tool (square, t-bevel, etc) adj. accordingly. When your cut is light-tight, you are done.

--John Economaki
John
Site Admin

Setting blade angle

Postby rwest » Fri May 01, 2009 5:22 pm

Here's how I set my blade square to the table, first I used a square against the blade to get close, then I locked the keel and made a test cut.I then noted which way the keel needed to swing and placed a stop against the other side of it.

I then unlocked the keel, swung it clear.

Then I placed a shim against the stop, swung the keel back and locked it, then ran another test cut.

I did this a few times, and got my 90!

Make sure you always lock the keel before cutting, and make a big enough gap in the sacrifical fence so the blade doesn't try to use the last kerf, throwing your cut off. Also make sure to move the keel by the middle handle.

Rutager
rwest

Postby John » Fri May 01, 2009 8:56 pm

Rutager;

Your images are not opening. Try re-posting, but before you do, click the preview button to see if you images load correctly.

--John
John
Site Admin

Return to Jointmaker Pro Joinery Tips and Cutting Techniques