Cutting to a fixed depth

Moderator: Michael

Cutting to a fixed depth

Postby Doug » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:56 am

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere but I got to thinking about cutting to a fixed depth last night and how it relates to the blade pitch. What is the method for doing this? Do you start with the blade at an appropriate pitch then level it as you get to the set depth? Or do the entire cut with no pitch? The second option is the only one that makes much sense to me as far as setting the depth locking nut but doesn't seem like it would cut as well ??
Doug

Postby rwest » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:42 am

Doug,

I had thought about that also, and figured that the pitch would only be a factor if you stopped your cut before the stock completly passed the last tooth of the blade. As long as all the wood went through the highest point it would all be cut to the same depth. I hope that makes sense.

Rutager
rwest

Postby User304209 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:03 am

Doug,

good morning.

Rutager is 100% right. The height of all your cuts will always be the height of the point at which the blade meets the rear of your piece.
Let's say for instance you wanted to do a trench cut of a depth of a half inch in a piece an inch high - you would have to set your blade so the last tooth is set at a half inch. Make your two cuts the so that the width of your trench is set between your two cuts and chisel out the rest.

In order to make the angled cut you describe above you would need to firmly clamp in place your piece on the table at the angle at which you want it cut. I would probably do that by placing a wedge cut to the angle I desired below the piece, and then clamp it up.

Remember, the steeper the angle of the blade the more aggressive the cut.
The more "aggressive" your cuts the shorter will be the life of your blade.

hope this helps,
Roger
User304209

Postby Michael » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:34 pm

The Depth Stop! The Depth Stop!

The Depth Stop is the red anodized part that fits on the nut that is on the front shaft of the drivetrain. Attach this part and adjust the other 2 jam nuts to your depth and you will have consistent cuts to the depth that you want, no matter what your blade pitch is. You can have any pitch that you want and make as many passes as you need and it will stop when you want it to.

Take a look at the manual and it will show which nut to put it on. I think I will be doing a video on this tomorrow....
Michael
Site Admin

Return to Jointmaker Pro Joinery Tips and Cutting Techniques