Look! One hand!

Moderator: Michael

Look! One hand!

Postby Michael » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:05 pm

This circuitous story does indeed end up with the Jointmaker Pro so bear with me for a moment.

I am in the midst of converting my approximately 80 year old one car garage into my workshop. Downsizing from an off site 1300 sq ft shop will be interesting, but it needs to happen. I have replaced the sill plates, added gable vents, and have run more power out there via buried conduit than most people need for their whole house.

Last Friday night I was making some door stop trim out of an old door frame. I needed to rip the reclaimed 1 x 6 x 7’ board in half to get some fresh, non nail holed wood for the trim. I turned the safety brake off on my Sawstop because I knew I could have left a nail or two in the wood. I started cutting, and about halfway through my board I saw some sparks and then something flew out and hit my arm.
I continued to cut, then thinking to myself, “Hmm, that one kind of hurt.â€
Michael
Site Admin

Postby davidg » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:52 pm

Wow! Hope you get back to 100% soon. You might want to invest in one of those inexpensive metal detectors. You shouldn't make that kind of sacrifice to show off the user friendly features of the JMP
:P.
davidg

Postby Michael » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:22 am

Thanks David!
I am healing remarkably fast. I am surprised by how good it feels.

Yes, a metal detector is not a bad idea!
Michael
Site Admin

Postby User303518 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:21 pm

maybe we should institute an "order of the purple heart" for injuries in the line of duty. have already lacerated my thumb, but thanks to the clean cut of the saw blade, a couple of butterfly bandages and a little less than a week healing have me feeling good as new.
User303518

Postby Michael » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:28 am

Good News!
I removed my single stitch that I had on my wound. Being a loyal woodworker, I used Bridge City's MK-1 Marking Knife with the right handed knife point installed to snip the suture. Yet another useful tool!

Michael
Michael
Site Admin

New Shop photos and ideas

Postby TahoeTwoBears » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:10 am

Michael,

It'd be cool if you'd show off the progress of downsizing your shop. I'm in a similar boat and always, always looking for good ideas.

Mike
TahoeTwoBears

Postby Michael » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:19 am

Right! I have been meaning to. I have found a couple of decent ways to manage the small shop. I'll try to get things posted.
Michael
Site Admin

New Shop photos and ideas

Postby TahoeTwoBears » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:47 am

Michael,

It'd be cool if you'd show off the progress of downsizing your shop. I'm in a similar boat and always, always looking for good ideas.

Mike
TahoeTwoBears

Postby PFranks » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:48 pm

Geez, Michael. I don't know how I could have missed this thread. Condolences on the nail hole - I would have asked to see it if I'd known! I'm guessing that there must be a moral in there somewhere.

I'd also be interested in seeing your shop, and how it's taking shape. Regardless of the number of arms involved...
PFranks

Michael's shop progress

Postby TahoeTwoBears » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:18 am

Michael,

Any progress on pictures of your new shop? I'm starting to get itchy just trying to figure out how to downsize mine.

Thanks,

Mike
TahoeTwoBears

Postby Michael » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:54 am

Shop? What shop?

Oh! That place I used to go to and build things...that's right!

With my 4 month old kid it has been a whirlwind of a summer and I have not been out there for a moment this summer.

First thing you should do and go get locking mobile bases on everything in your shop, except possibly your workbench. Roll everything else around that but having a solid non wobbling work surface is critical to me.

Next, try to make use of the wall space that is over 6' (or higher depending how tall you are..) off the floor. Build some cabinets for storage. If you have a welder, weld some brackets to store lumber on. To me, wood storage is the trickiest part of the work shop. Between sheet goods, hard woods, and metal stock, you end up with a wide variety of shapes and sizes.

I made a outside storage nook for my sheet goods and metal stock that is weather protected by the overhanging roof. I love it. I am able to store 16ft long pieces of steel and 8' sheets of ply and it is easily accessible.

I'll try and get some shots soon!
Michael
Site Admin

Return to Jointmaker Pro Joinery Tips and Cutting Techniques