Bridal Joint

Moderator: Michael

Bridal Joint

Postby rwest » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:43 pm

Hello All,

I was talking to everyone's good friend Fred West about his work on a hand cut bridal joint. This joint is pretty simple to cut on a table saw, but in order to do a good job by hand, you need very straight cuts on the grooved portion since it is almost impossible to straighten out your cuts due to the lack of space. The tenon portion is much easier to correct. I started thinking that this would be a good thing to try on the JMP. I started out making a tenon because I could then size the groove with the Kerfmaker.

Cutting the tenon, I'll cut one side then flip it around for a perfectly centered tenon.

Finished tenon.

Setting the Kermaker to tenon thickness:

Setting up the first cut, and placing the stop:

Flipping the Kerfmaker for the second cut:

Cleaning out the waste "dovetail" style:

The finished joint, dry fitted, beautiful! right off the saw:

I'm thrilled with the result of this joint, I spent about 2 hours total, including calibrating the Kerfmaker to the JMP. Since much of the time was spent getting the angles to 90 degrees and lining up the start point of the groove, I believe that I could have kept making this same joint for multiple corners in about 15 min per joint!

-Rutager
rwest

Size of components?

Postby TahoeTwoBears » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:49 am

Really nice work. That's the sort of thing I've been hoping my saw (when it arrives) would be able to do. Can I ask what size the rails and stiles are?

Mike
TahoeTwoBears

Postby rwest » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:28 pm

Hi Mike,

The Walnut I used is 5/8" thick. I cut the joint 1 1/2" deep, the same width as the stock. I'm always amazed at the accuracy and quality of the cuts from the JMP. The hardest thing to believe is that how with a little attention to the set up and using the Kerfmaker makes a joint that is near perfect with no fiddiling around afterwards!

-Rutager
rwest

Postby PFranks » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:41 am

Very cool, Rutager. What's that tall fence you have beside the blade? Could you show a picture of the full thing? How's it attached, and kept parallel to the blade?
PFranks

Postby rwest » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:39 pm

Peter,

I posted a seperate post on this fence set up under the JMP section for jigs and fixtures. You'll see that if it is built square, it will keep the angle of the main fence.

-Rutager
rwest

Return to Jointmaker Pro Joinery Tips and Cutting Techniques