MS-96 Precision Measuring Stick

If you don't know where to post your comment, put it in here.

Moderator: Michael

MS-96 Precision Measuring Stick

Postby User304209 » Sat May 02, 2009 11:46 pm

Could anyone who has used the MS-96 Precision Measuring Stick, kindly..... please submit a comment on it,
beyond the description on the BCTW site. The more in-depth your experience the better.

thank you,
roger
User304209

Postby rwest » Sun May 03, 2009 5:03 am

Hi Roger,

I love it! It takes measuring out of the equation, which we all know is an easy thing to botch up, especially when measuring inside corners, like window or door jambs. The only drawback that I have is it is for larger projects, the smallest it will measure is around 20". I get a big smile everytime I use it. You just put how many of the pieces of it you need and extend it, then place the MS-96 between the blade and set a stop, then cut your piece- perfection! The last time I saw John I tried to talk him into making a small scale measuring stick, but no luck yet!

I hope this helps, Rutager
rwest

Postby User304209 » Sun May 03, 2009 9:09 am

Rutager,

thanx,,,,,,,,,,,,,one more question.

Since you are translating an inside "measurement" when your setting a cut by placing it between the blade and the fence......
Are you able to take the outside "measurement" of a piece and carry that over to that "inside" set up???

.......roger

ps. hmmm, a smaller version would be very handy - esp with the JMP!
User304209

Postby rwest » Sun May 03, 2009 11:44 am

Roger,

If I understand you correctly, you want to know if you can use it to measure something where the ends of the MS-96 are not spread out to touch something but rather used like a numberless ruler. It can be used like that, but the sides of the pointed ends aren't flush with the bars, so you may want to hold a scrap piece of wood up to meet the points.

Rutager
rwest

Postby Dennis » Sun May 10, 2009 8:15 pm

I recently used mine to lay out the width of stair treads in a sunken stair well. the tool worked very well. The walls were not perfectly straight and 1/16" would show up on oak treads against oak side plates. I measured front and back and used it to mark out the boards. I haven't tried to use it as a story stick. I find a white strip of wood works best for that because you can save them for another day....

Dennis
Dennis

Return to General Questions