CT-5 hand Vise cleanup

If you don't know where to post your comment, put it in here.

Moderator: Michael

CT-5 hand Vise cleanup

Postby md12be@pacbell.net » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:36 pm

Back in 1997 I purchased the CT-5 Hand Vise with the presentation case. I have not had it out of the case since purchasing it until recently. It looks like the foam in the presentation case started to break down. On the ends of the vise jaws there was a fair amount of foam stuck to the jaws. All of the brass and metal parts are either tarnished or corrosion is starting to set in.

I have been able to buff out the brass using 0000 steel wool and I have been able to remove some of the corrosion on the jaws but not all of it. It is especially bad were the foam was stuck to it.

Looking for some advice on how to get this tool back to its original luster.

Mike
md12be@pacbell.net

Re: CT-5 hand Vise cleanup

Postby Consuelo » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:41 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for calling yesterday about it as well. I checked in with John and he mentioned that he hasn't seen this particular case before so he doesn't have a first-hand experience. However, he suggested to experiment with some solvents. He would start with alcohol. Then turpentine, lacquer thinner, paint thinner, acetone, toluene until something removes the foam.

Hope that helps!

Consuelo
Consuelo

Postby md12be@pacbell.net » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:19 pm

Consuelo,

So I tried alcohol with no luck, tried acetone next with a little success, mineral spirits gave me the best result for removing the remaining foam. I tried wetting the steel wool with the different solvents with not much improvement. Using a fine brass brush with mineral spirits worked best.

I then tried to polish it out first with the 0000 steel wool and then with a buffing wheel on my hand held dremmel after putting on a light coat of carnauba wax.

What I now have, is the jaws are discolored from where it was in contact with the foam that had broken down. I have not had any success trying to polish these stains out. Is there a way I can get a photo back to you? Also any other ideas that John or others there may have?

We are closer to the end goal.

Thanks,

Mike
md12be@pacbell.net

Postby md12be@pacbell.net » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:03 am

Consuelo,

Success!!!! While waiting for additional ideas I ran across my stick of Jewelers Rouge from my wood turning days. Using the rouge with the buffing wheel on my dremel, I was able to buff out all of the remaining stains. I then finished it off with 0000 steel wool. It now looks just like the day I received it back in 1997.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions,

Mike
md12be@pacbell.net

Postby Consuelo » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:01 pm

FANTASTIC NEWS! I am so glad to hear that. Thanks for sharing your experience as well.

My best,
Consuelo
Consuelo

Postby wfweldon@gmail.com » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:43 am

This is apparently not an isolated problem. I recently looked at my hand vise ant it had similar corrosion where the jaws contacted the foam in the fitted box.
/Users/billweldon/Desktop/Bridge City/Bridge city.jpg
/Users/billweldon/Desktop/Bridge City/Bridge city-2.jpg
wfweldon@gmail.com

Return to General Questions