Wood

If you don't know where to post your comment, put it in here.

Moderator: Michael

Wood

Postby paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:23 pm

Yes, I read Krenov's books as they came out and agreed with him on the importance of choosing the right wood. Intellectually I understood it and as well at a deeper level but recently it seems the wood, the right wood is becoming The Thing I'm looking for when I build something on a personal level.

So I'm getting tired of going to my local lumberyards and seeing the same uninspired stuff. I don't need or necessarily want exotics but it's got to be something special. The wood choice is equal importance to the design. There is no there there unless the wood is right.

I'm getting ready to start traipsing out to the small lumberyards in Cali to see if those that seek out the special logs have anything. I got to thinking after seeing an exhibit up the street from me at a small gallery of student work from School of the Redwoods...where do they buy their wood?

Does anybody know?

The thought of buying wood from the internet strikes me as totally and utterly wrong.
I saw this post here as well.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=249
paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com

Re: Wood

Postby paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:49 pm

Well, I can answer my own question. A little research on the College of the Redwoods site says most of the lumber comes from the Bay Area and are the same yards I visit.
They must get the finest of the finest before I get to the stacks.

Re: Wood

Postby paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:49 pm

Hi Paul.
I made the journey today to the mountain top. It wasn't easy finding it, I had to stop three times and ask what looked like locals for directions. One led me astray.

I'm sure it was a test.

Drove out to west Marin county, right next to Tomales Bay to find what I'm looking for. Big empty open land out there, windswept with a feeling that you've stepped back in time. Gorgeous sumptuous jaw dropping wood sawn by a man that "knows" each log he cuts and saws it to reveal the best.

If you're in the Bay area, make your own journey.
You need to call ahead, info on it is scarce. Put in the time required.

http://www.remodelista.com/posts/the-ul ... west-marin
http://www.arborica.com/

Return to General Questions