Metric BCTW?

If you don't know where to post your comment, put it in here.

Moderator: Michael

Metric BCTW?

Postby lordofthestrings7@hotmail.com » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:41 pm

Hello all-

I grew up using good 'ol inches and feet all my life for measuring, and never thought twice about it. However, in the last few years as I have become more serious about my luthier work largely in part by being hired on as a full-time professional luthier by a small, high-end shop, I have been switching over to metric. This has a lot to do with the fact that my employers are European, but also becasue in most of the violin world, measurements are given, historically recorded and discussed in millimeters. I have been adding metric tools to my box, but everything I have from BCTW has imperial units.

I have seen pictures of the MG-3 with a metric scale, as well as a picture of a small rule (the SR-6 I believe) with a metric scale on one side. I'd have to look again as well, but I thought I remembered seeing some 'scale options' for ordering measuring tools in some old BCTW catalogues I have. However, I have never come across any metric BCTW tools in person, nor can I find information about them online.

So my question is: did/does BCTW offer metric-scaled tools? I would love to have some rules of the BCTW quality/satin finish in metric for my work, especially if I could get a replacement blade in metric for my AS-3.

Thanks!

-Spence
lordofthestrings7@hotmail.com

Re: Metric BCTW?

Postby rwest » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:44 am

Hello Spence,

Many tools were offered in metric, but I don't think many people ordered them, so they're hard to find on the used market.

Check out the DSS-6 Double Saddle Square that is currently in production, it is a fantastic tool and comes in a metric version, you'll have to call them to see if there are any available.

Best,
Rutager
rwest

Return to General Questions