center scribe ?

If you don't know where to post your comment, put it in here.

Moderator: Michael

center scribe ?

Postby andy.d.loechler@wellsfargo.com » Wed May 23, 2012 8:00 am

So I just received this tool. The screw that hold the pencil is really annoying me. The thumb knob comes off so it’s really not useful at all? So is this really how this is designed? I see there is a small hex key in the screw but seriously I have to use a hex wrench and then use the thumb screw as a locking nut?
I can understand why the scribe part of the tool is designed that way but the pencil holder is really making me mad? Or maybe I’m just missing something very obvious?
andy.d.loechler@wellsfargo.com

Re: center scribe ?

Postby rwest » Sat May 26, 2012 8:30 am

Hi Andy,

How frustrating, nope, that is not how it was designed; the knob is supposed to be permanently attached to the threaded rod- they usually use red Lock-tite, maybe it was missed. Give them a call next business day and they'll make it right for you. It really is a great tool.

Best,
Rutager
rwest

Postby Michael » Tue May 29, 2012 8:37 am

Hi Andy,
That pencil knob should be glued on to the set screw stud.
Give us a ring or shoot us an email and we can send you out a replacement.
Sorry about the hassle!

Michael
Michael
Site Admin

Postby andy.d.loechler@wellsfargo.com » Thu May 31, 2012 11:27 am

I returned the tool for a refund. After having the thumb screw fall off a couple of times and have to hunt for it on the floor… I own a kerfmaker and I do use it from time to time and find it very handy…
But after using the center scribe a couple of times it did not strike me as being all that useful for my type of work. And honestly it just felt odd using it. not sure I could put my finger on it. even though I was able to scribe lines and stuff it just kept making me mad. I was actually kind of excited about it when I first ordered it but… after getting it and having it annoy me the love was gone. Maybe next time.
andy.d.loechler@wellsfargo.com

Postby Michael » Thu May 31, 2012 11:45 am

Yes we received your tool. I replaced the knob with a good one.

FYI, it looked like the scribe point was protruding waaaaay too much too. It should only stick out maybe a 1/32" max to make it easy to scribe with. It looked like you had out about 1/8" which can make it difficult to use.

At any rate, glad you got to try it at least! And again, sorry about the knob!

Michael
Michael
Site Admin

Return to General Questions