HP-8

If you don't know where to post your comment, put it in here.

Moderator: Michael

HP-8

Postby john.wishneusky@alum.mit.edu » Sat May 19, 2012 6:01 pm

I've a couple of questions about this little plane.

I found the knob for adjusting the throat so tight I needed pliers to loosen it. Taking it completely apart, it looks like a thread-locking compound was applied to the female thread. Why was that? I scraped most of it out with a dental pick and the knob works smoothly now.

I am surprised that the plane iron is so much narrower than the opening. I've got to loosen the cap-screw quite a bit to be able to use the adjuster and the iron seems to slip askew very readily. I'm tempted to glue some shims inside the body to help keep the iron aligned. Am I missing something in how I should be adjusting the iron? It's particularly awkward to do if the chamfer fences are installed.

Any tips on how to adjust the chamfer fences? They are far enough from the sole of the plane to make adjusting by eye iffy. Is getting a precise chamfer a matter of trial and error? I think I'll need to create a set of spacers that will produce a separation of these fences to correspond with desired widths of chamfer.

John
john.wishneusky@alum.mit.edu

Re: HP-8

Postby john.wishneusky@alum.mit.edu » Mon May 21, 2012 1:21 pm

Brief followup. I looked at the squareness of the two blades included with the plane. One is better than the other, but both are noticeably out-of-square. The width of the blades is constant. I've noticed in older planes that the blades often taper back from the cutting edge. Not so here.

I wonder how difficult it would be to make and keep the edge perfectly square? If it were, the blade could be a close fit to the plane body and not require lateral adjustment. Of course if there were little to no adjustment, then the iron would HAVE to be perfectly square.

John

Postby rwest » Sat May 26, 2012 8:47 am

John,

They do use red thread lock on some parts to keep them together; maybe some got in the wrong place.

I checked my blades, and they're out of square too. I'll send Michael at BCTW an email.

Best,
Rutager
rwest

Postby rwest » Sat May 26, 2012 4:38 pm

John,

I ordered both the SS and the brass and checked 3 of my blades and two were square, one was quite a bit off, maybe they moved in the holding fixture they use for grinding?

-Rutager
rwest

Postby Michael » Tue May 29, 2012 8:32 am

HI John,
Sorry about the delay here. It does sound like some of the red loctite was not applied properly on the threads. We can replace the knob for you if you have not already remedied it yourself.

The irons should be ground square. We are looking in to the matter now as to how it happened. We can send out replacements, please call or email us here. Sales@bridgecitytools.com

The set up of the chamfer plane is trial and error indeed. It should go pretty quickly. But if you need repeatable set-ups then a set-up block would be a good thing to make.
Michael
Site Admin

Postby Michael » Thu May 31, 2012 2:55 pm

Of the the bunch that I checked here, the majority are square. I did indeed find some that were not square. We can send out replacements to you. I will get the bad irons re-ground.

At the grinding facility, the irons are stacked up side by side, 30 or so at a time. The bevels are then ground all at once. It seems a batch, or more, may have shifted unbeknownst to the operator. We have been using this particular grinding outfit for over 15 years and have never had this issue.

As it goes in manufacturing, if something can go wrong, it will.

So let us know here in the office and we can send out some nice square replacements.

Sorry about the hassle!

Michael
Michael
Site Admin

Postby john.wishneusky@alum.mit.edu » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:34 pm

Michael,

I just measured the two I have at 89 degrees 30 minutes and 89 degrees 45 minutes, so they are not square, but not grossly off. I don't need you to send replacements, these will be fine. I was curious about how much adjustment room I need as I think I will attempt to place some sort of shims in the body to help keep the iron from shifting radically.

I think I will mill a spacer square with a sized step in thickness on each edge to give me quickly settable chamfer widths. Once I have the separation that produces essentially no chamfer, graduated steps will be quick to produce on the milling machine.

Thanks,

John

Return to General Questions