Fingerprints on brass tools

If you don't know where to post your comment, put it in here.

Moderator: Michael

Fingerprints on brass tools

Postby david@djmatheson.com » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:28 pm

Does anyone know how to get fingerprints off the brass? These particular prints have been on this tool for years and are blackened. They will not come off by rubbing with cloth only & I'm afraid to set it in by using the wrong product!
david@djmatheson.com

Re: Fingerprints on brass tools

Postby rwest » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:25 am

David,

I use 0000 steel wool and wax to clean my brass tools including the wood parts. I believe this is what Bridge City has always recommended too. Just go in the same direction of the original scratch pattern and buff out.

-Rutager
rwest

Postby allendavid673@gmail.com » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:04 am

Brasso is good for shining house items. It will gum up a folding blade and is too coarse for a very good shine. Research Paper Writing Help Flitz or Simichrome work much greater and finish prettier. A device will last you a great time.
allendavid673@gmail.com

Postby kevinkruse26@gmail.com » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:19 am

It is important to smooth brass with a solvent after sharpening, before lacquering, or the lacquer will peel off like Saran wrap. I used Stoddard solvent (a cultured mineral spirit, same component as dry cleaning fluid) whilst making ready to lacquer things just like the Brinkley surveyor's compass I've posted right here. You’ll be amazed how a great deal black crud will hold oozing out of polished brass. I had hand polished the compass for nine days with Simi chrome earlier than lacquering. No buffing wheels had been used. They smear sharp info such as engraving. The crud stored oozing out for some hours Buy Courseworks Online if I recollect. I lacquered a brass item I had polished early on, and the lacquer simply peeled right off. It became metallic lacquer, too. That taught me a lesson.
kevinkruse26@gmail.com

Return to General Questions