The new Angle-Master

If you don't know where to post your comment, put it in here.

Moderator: Michael

The new Angle-Master

Postby savatteridesigns » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:01 am

Rutager,

So, since you became a BC addict before me, do you have the original Angle Master?
........and if so, could you say a few words about it?

The modified version seems to have a calibration adjustment in the center and an adjustable rest for the caliper when setting angles greater that 90 degrees.

-roger

Discontinued model.......

Bridge City Tool Works - AMP-6i Angle Master Pro 6i - AMP-6i Angle Master Pro 6i

New Model........

savatteridesigns

Postby rwest » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:55 am

Hi Roger,

I saw the Tweet yesterday and kept checking to see if John was going to send out a new blog on it! I do have one of the orginals, but I got it off of ebay last year. When they first came out I was still "afraid" of anything different then 45 or 90! so I passed on it and later regreted it. I was just using it a week ago on my latest project; a compound sided, compound curved top jewelry box. and it is nice to have it to set the saw blade angles.

John had made a few comments on a new version in one of the forum threads. Which leads me to beleive that the second adjustable "stop" at the back is for installing the caliper parallel to the tool. On the old version, you had to use a setup block to do it.

I'm pretty excited about this new version since John had talked about having the caliper do direct readouts rather than the old version where you need to program a calculator and refer to a chart to set the angle.

I also beleive that having this kind of accuracy takes down many of the barriers to doing very cool creative projects. I'm getting one as soon as they can ship it!

-Rutager
rwest

Postby savatteridesigns » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:20 am

Posted by Michael over at tF,
http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/bridge-ci ... aster.html

"Hey there people!
Wow! Amazing that a few "seeds" can create this buzz! I love it.

So, I am en route to a remote outpost in canada (for real!) for vacation, so this will be my only post until late next week.

Yes, we have redesigned the anglemaster. There is no info on our website about it yet.
It is an incrediblely accurate angle measuring device. It is indeed very possible to re-program a caliper to read the angles directly. In order for us to justify this, our volume would need to be exponentially larger to make it cost effective. Until then, we will provide a cross reference chart.
This version 2 is much easier to calibrate and set-up than the version 1 was.

Ok, plane to catch,
Michael"

savatteridesigns

Postby savatteridesigns » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:06 pm

Rutager,

Since John hasn't yet posted a blog post/comment on the Angle Master, I'll pose my questions to you here until John chimes in.

Your response would be tied to your experience with the first version combined with how you would "like" the latest version to perform.
Mind you, on my "table of thoughts" I have the BS-5 Transfer Bevel and the BP-18 Bevel Protractor that I'll be referring to.
(both of which I use)

Regarding the AMP-6i-v2,

Let's say your working in a tight space, after you set your angle & you wanted to remove the caliper - but still retain the angle set. Will it hold firm like the BS-5 or will it need a double thumb screw like the BP-18? It seems that the caliper (besides setting the angle) acts like the second thumbscrew to hold the angle set.
So, my guess is - when the caliper is removed, so is the double "set".
If that is true, would adding a supplemental arc(s) support(s) be helpful? - when wanting to remove the caliper yet maintain the integrity of the angle set.

My second question is that when it lays down on a surface does the union of the caliper create a "bump"?, does it touch? or does it float a tad above the surface? ........on the v1 version? - it's hard to see how the other side would function on the v2 from that one photo.

-roger
savatteridesigns

Postby rwest » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:15 pm

Roger,

Good thoughts and questions. The old version will sit flat on or against a surface since the reference flats are wider then the caliper is thick. Both flats are equaly usable, the 6" caliper does not protrude outside of the "triangle" created by the flats.

As far as being able to remove the caliper; you would lose your angle if you took the caliper out of the old version of the tool. There is no lock to hold the position, it relies on the friction of pivot and the caliper. I think if I needed to set a bevel in a tight space I would transfer the angle to the CT-15 or TB-5. It appears that in both versions the caliper is held by 4 screws, and my thinking is that undoing them could cause you to lose the angle just because of the action of un-screwing them. Maybe John could see if there is a way to put a quick release feature on the caliper mount and a bevel lock at the pivot similar to the CT-15 or a arc support as you suggest.

Hope this helps! Rutager
rwest

Postby rwest » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:20 pm

Roger,

One more thought: Since John hasn't chimed in, and Michael was the one to post the picture, and now Michael is in some frgid part of Canada; Could this be the tight economy's version of Colonel Economaki sending Sargent Michael to the Russian Front?

-Rutager
rwest

Postby savatteridesigns » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:56 am

Rutager,

Next round, :mrgreen:

So after setting an angle with the Angle Master-v2 (a two step process)
and then transferring the angle to my CT-15 Multi Square
and then set the blade (or such) to the workpiece.......
Total = 3 steps

My logical next question would be......
What's the advantage (outside of the nifty digital aspect) to not using my BP-18 Bevel Protractor to set my CT-15 Multi Square straight away?, thus saving a step. Which brings me back full circle to what I said in the previous post about being able to use the Angle Master-v2 straight away without having to go thru the transfer process. Actually though, in an ultimate duel between the Angle Master-v2 and the BP-18 Bevel Protractor if you could use the Angle Master as a CT-15 it would still be a two step dance because of having to transpose the degree equivalent. (unless of course they have mucho orders to eliminate this step)

hmm, I wonder what the end result would be with a wixey digital angle gauge married to a platform that would mimic the way a caliper mechanism works. (the sliding aspect) Because in essence the goal would be to make the caliper behave like a Wixley to get to the angle straight away.

So Rutager, as conspiracy theories go I believe Colonel John & Michael planned the Tweet dispatch in unison in order to test the waters to see just how far the "tweet release" only would work.

-roger
savatteridesigns

Postby rwest » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:14 am

Roger,

The real benefit of the AMP tools are their "wicked" accuracy! I think that you'll find that the caliper is installed in such a way that there would be very few times that you would see much of a benefit in removing it, or needing to use it to set a smaller bevel. If you can think of a situation where you think it wouldn't work let me know and I'll see if it works and post a photo.

-Rutager

P.S. I'm positive that John and Michael are manipulating us for their own amusement and any marketing knowledge gained is just a bonus!
rwest

Postby savatteridesigns » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:31 am

Rutager,

I'm seeing your point about accuracy of the Angle Master esp if the caliper doesn't get in the way.
Having used the angle master v1, how much use do you get from your BP-18?

hmmm, regarding John's absence here, my thought is that his RC helicopter must have crashed onto his new laptop.
Perhaps now he'll take this opportunity to switch over to a Mac.:lol:

-roger
savatteridesigns

Postby rwest » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:14 pm

Roger,

I don't currently own a BP-18, I do have the MP-8 and a AM-1. My thought is that the AMP-6i v1&v2 are the "go to" tools for setting angles, but the others would still have some areas that they would be better suited for: The BP-18 is pretty thin so it would be good to measure the bevel on something like a turning gouge; The MP-8 can be "chucked" into a drill press or set against the teeth of a bandsaw blade; And the AM-1 can rest in the miter slot of a tablesaw.

As far as computers go; I'm a PC too! my reason and possibly John's too is that Cobalt, the CAD software that he uses and has taught classes on, seems to favor, if only slightly the PC. They tend to put out upgrades and "bug" fixes for the PC before the Mac.

-Rutager
rwest

Return to General Questions