BCTW Honing Guide

If you don't know where to post your comment, put it in here.

Moderator: Michael

BCTW Honing Guide

Postby ForumMFG » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:57 am

A question for anyone that has a honing guide from BCTW. Can you tell me that if you are using the honing guide with a chisel, is there enough room to put a digital angle finder on the chisel to set the bevel? It's about 2 1/2" wide.

This angle finder is what I am referring to:

http://www.bealltool.com/products/measuring/tiltbox.php
ForumMFG

Postby rwest » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:37 pm

Hi Dave,

Good Question! Since I have a HG-1 Honing Guide, a digital angle finder and a camera, we'll find out!

BCTW Chisel:

Sorby:

Lie-Neilsen:

Answer is yes! My angle finder is 2" long though, so if the Beall one is longer you might have problems, but I dont think the 1/2" more should be a problem for most chisels unless the flat area of steel is too short.

-Rutager
rwest

Postby ForumMFG » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:38 am

Rutager,

Thanks for the response and posting all those pictures.

I was just guessing the dimension size on my digital angle finder because I didn't have it with me when I made the post. I'm sure it's the same size as your and obviously it works well. Do you use your angle finder to set the bevel angle on your chisels?

Thanks for being pretty much the only one that responds to any of my posts. I wish we could get some more activity on here.

-Dave
ForumMFG

Postby rwest » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:11 am

Dave,

I'm happy to help out, and second your wish for more responses! I have this gut feeling that there are many people checking out this forum that are doing stunning, cool and creative things and it will just be a matter of time and they will start sharing it! I've also found that by having this "vehicle" to post my ideas is a driving force behind even better ones!

I've been using the BCTW SUG-1 for setting angles on my plane blades, in fact I just did a sharpening session last weekend and it went great. I haven't been using my chisels much lately so I haven't used the HG-1 for them yet. The digital angle finder was also easy to use to set the angle on the chisels, but I probably would just use the SUG-1 since it is already with my sharpening kit and the digital unit is kept at my tablesaw!

-Rutager
rwest

Postby PFranks » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:57 pm

So what's the deal, Rutager? Does your picture-taking ability decrease with the cost of the chisels?

Nice post. And I agree - thank goodness you're here, as nobody else seems to respond!
PFranks

Postby savatteridesigns » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:56 pm

Dave,

I would be in agreement with Rutager regarding using the SUG-1.
The Wixey seems a bit of an overkill for that set up, unless of course your into obscure angles.

.......and Rutager, I would agree with Peter - perhaps it's time for John to come up with a Tri-pod design for your camera. heh.
:mrgreen:

savatteridesigns

Postby rwest » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:13 am

Hello,

You guys might be on to something as far as picture quality vs cost! It is related. The BCTW chisel was the only one that didn't need me to hold the handle to keep it from tipping over. I had to take the other two pictures one handed and leaning!

I figured that it took about the same amount of effort/time using either angle finding method. If you already owned a digital and didn't want to spend the extra money on the SUG-1, it will work fine. Be careful if you use water stones though, I don't think it would like getting wet!

Peter,

Fred buys me all my tools, so I don't know what any of them cost! Doesn't he buy you yours too?

-Rutager
rwest

Postby ForumMFG » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:18 am

Roger,

The only reason why I brought the question up is because I already own this digital angle finder so I try to own tools to can be useful in different applications. I'm in the market for a honing guide since I just ordered a new set of bench chisels from blue spruce of which were very expensive so I'm not looking to pay for extras such as the SUG-1.

One other thing about the water stone is that you would almost have to flatten it before each use so that you get a good reading on a flat surface. Otherwise water stones wear done fast. I use diamond stones up to 1200 grit then I switch to a 4000/8000 water stone so with that fine of a grit they shouldn't wear down as fast.

PFranks - Yes, thanks to Roger and West because they are the only ones that respond. I still have posts that no one has responded to yet. One of them is whether this forum has a RSS feed? I don't think it does, so do you guys just come here once a day to check for postings?

I know Roger is on TalkFestool and the FOG, are any of you guys on there as well? If so, what's your nickname and where are you from?
ForumMFG

Postby rwest » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:08 am

Dave,

I just check this forum Way too often! I use my laptop to watch tv and DVDs on so it's easy to click to at commercials. I seem to have a strange addiction to this sort of thing so I went cold turkey on every one but this one! I had signed up for the Festool one when Roger did his excellent JMP review. I haven't "bit the bullet" on any Festool stuff yet, so I haven't been on it since.

I had figured that after you dropped all that money on the new chisels, you were looking to save on setting the angles! One other thought would be to use your digital to set up the first chisel then tack a block of wood on a board at the amount your chisel projects from the HG-1, and as long as you don't change where the roller is you could put all the chisel in until they hit the block.

-Rutager(St Paul MN)
rwest

Postby John » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:00 am

Hi Folks!

Regarding this community, have we forgotten Mom's Rule #63? "It's quality not quantity." This of course comes with a couple of exceptions, macaroni and cheese, scalloped potatoes and green bean casseroles with the crunchy onion stuff on top come immediately to mind...

Rutager, photog tip # 71: When alone, never forget about double stick tape, fishing line, gum, or tacky wall stuff (works like gum but comes off).

Regarding stones (the sharpening type), YES water stones wear quickly, but they are also FAST. So while you do your value proposition calculations, it is important for many to consider the value of one's time, and the value of time is one topic that many woodworkers neglect. Personally, I would rather make things than maintain my tools--knowing that you can't have one without the other.

--John
John
Site Admin

Postby PFranks » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:12 pm

I guess I don't really understand why anyone would need a set up gauge for most blades. If they're already ground, and you're just sharpening/honing them, it's pretty easy to get them perfectly angled in the honing guide by putting it on a flat surface (I use my granite kitchen counter tops), and look to see when the bevel is flat (no light underneath). For fine tuning I use a Sharpie and mark the bevel, then do a quick, light test swipe over the stone (I only use Shaptons - love them!) to see where on the blade it's cutting. With the HG-1 it's easy to dial in the perfect angle by turning the knob. You'd have to do it anyway, even if you used a set up gauge (at least in my experience). I don't bother with set up gauges anymore. And I have nice, sharp blades (as far as I can tell...)
PFranks

Return to General Questions