Selecting Bench Chisels

If you don't know where to post your comment, put it in here.

Moderator: Michael

Selecting Bench Chisels

Postby ForumMFG » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:00 am

Within the next couple days I am going to be purchasing a set of Bench Chisels. I've had my eyes on the Blue Spruce bench chisels for a long time now but as I do with any of my tool purchases I do the research so I make sure I get the best possible tool that fits my needs. So, I have been trying to look online at other chisels companies and I have not had good luck finding any other companies that make great chisels like Blue Spruce does. Can you guys recommend some companies that produce outstanding chisels? I am not interested in Japanese Chisels.

-Dave
ForumMFG

Postby rwest » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:06 pm

Hi Dave,

I have a set of the Lie-Neilsen bevel edge chisels that I like. I only use them for paring because I thought it would be nice to get the Rosewood handles, but then realised that they wouldn't take a mallet blow well! They are a socket chisel so I can order standard Hornbeam ones if I want. For my workhorse chisels I have the Robert Sorby octagon boxwood handled chisels, which work alright, but the hoops are split and then held together with a punch indent, and several have fallen off! I also have the BCTW CT-13 chisel set which is also very nice, but is more of a special use set, rather than daily work. Good luck on your search!

-Rutager
rwest

Postby ForumMFG » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:27 am

Rutager, Thanks for your opinions!

John can correct me if I am wrong but according to the article listed below Dave with Blue Spruce was the one who fabricated all the chisels and mallets for the CT-13 as well as the MK-1 set too. With that said, you said they were very nice so that tells me something about blue spruce!

Here is the article on it:

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/cSch ... Toolw1.asp

-Dave
ForumMFG

Postby ForumMFG » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:51 am

Well, I just got off the phone with Dave from Blue Spruce and I took the plunge. I purchased the 5 piece bench chisel set, a mallet, a marking knife and scratch awl.

I'm pretty excited about this. It's going to be like Christmas day for a couple days throughout the next couple months. My chisels, the CT-16, the CS-2, the CS-12v2..
ForumMFG

Postby ForumMFG » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:51 am

Well, I just got off the phone with Dave from Blue Spruce and I took the plunge. I purchased the 5 piece bench chisel set, a mallet, a marking knife and scratch awl.

I'm pretty excited about this. It's going to be like Christmas day for a couple days throughout the next couple months. My chisels, the CT-16, the CS-2, the CS-12v2..
ForumMFG

Postby rwest » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:08 pm

Dave,

Congratulations! I bet they'll be real nice. You'll have to give us an update after they arrive and you've given them a work out.

-Rutager
rwest

Postby ForumMFG » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:25 pm

Will do. I'm post pictures when they first arrive too. Right now everything is made to order so blue spruce will be workng on them next week an they should ship Monday. There is just something about this that makes it more exciting knowing someone is personally making your tools and knowing that it's not something thats been sitting on a shelf or mass produced
ForumMFG

Postby PFranks » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:55 pm

You're going to be really happy with those Blue Spruce chisels, Dave. Good choice. Dave Jeske is a great guy, and it's particularly nice to know the person who's making your tools (like, say, John Economaki).
PFranks

Postby John » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:02 am

Dave gets a big Thumbs Up from all of us at BCTW too--even though he used to belong to the Woodworking Taliban..... :)

--John
John
Site Admin

Postby PFranks » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:13 pm

Did he really!?! I'd love to hear more about that...
PFranks

Postby ForumMFG » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:25 am

I got my chisels in Yesterday!

I just read the thread on how to post pictures and I thought it was to much for me so I posted a thread on the FOG. So below is a link to a thread that has pictures of the products I bought from Blue Spruce.

-Dave

http://festoolownersgroup.com/hand-tool ... n#msg89772
ForumMFG

Return to General Questions